wanting to die in idle...

darkstar_one

okay, lately i noticed my car has been stuttering at idle when i come to a stop while in drive. Im at the stp light and i notice kinda like the engine is missing... i check the tach and it acts like if its going to die, it drops down about 100 rpms and it goes back up... everything is normal while driving around except for the idle thing. I already checked the HARMONIC BALANCER BOLT and it is still there. here are the problems i know the car has... i know i need a new serpentine accessory belt. Maybe i need new spark plugs? Check engine light doesnt come on nor the UPSHIFT light when cranking. I dont know what to do. Also i discovered a leak in the fuel rail system were that FUEL PRESSURE thread thingy is at, the one were u can connect a MECHANICAL FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE next to the COIL PACK or whatever the hell its called. its a slow leak that leaks out of the stem.

i dont think its the motor mounts, the car doesnt vibrate or shake or nothing... its just the engine it feels like its missing at IDLE. maybe a vacuum leak or something? im showing vacuum at 16-18 inches in IDLE while in DRIVE. maybe a bad sensor? DIS MODULE? BAD SPARK PLUGS?

Sounds like a small vacuum leak....it doesn't take much of a leak to cause the problems your having. Easiest way to test for leaks is to spray all the IC tube connections with carb cleaner while engine is running. If those are okay, check the back of the intake manifold adaptor and the inlet plenum to make sure none of the hoses have fallen off or have split open.

Installing a zip tie on every vacuum hose connection helps alot.

David

can it be my spark plugs? i mean they are BOSCH PLATINUMs... i did a search and found out that BOSCH sucks... i am gonna order my AUTOLITE DOUBLE PLATINUMS from autozone for about 2.50 per plug. Any thing else? i will check for leaks...

I had the same problem

darkstar_one said:
can it be my spark plugs? i mean they are BOSCH PLATINUMs... i did a search and found out that BOSCH sucks... i am gonna order my AUTOLITE DOUBLE PLATINUMS from autozone for about 2.50 per plug. Any thing else? i will check for leaks...

Turned out to be a vacuum leak. Mine is a 1994 5spd. There is a vaccum line on the passenger side that runs to the fuel tank. I had a small leak in mine and until it got large enough, I could not hear it.

Pop the hood and listen to the engine running. Then, while you stand there, have a friend turn it off. You should hear a leak coming from the passenger side around and to the left of the throttle body. Since I replaced mine, no problems.

Good luck.

Where exactly is this line?

mduralia said:
Turned out to be a vacuum leak. Mine is a 1994 5spd. There is a vaccum line on the passenger side that runs to the fuel tank. I had a small leak in mine and until it got large enough, I could not hear it.

Pop the hood and listen to the engine running. Then, while you stand there, have a friend turn it off. You should hear a leak coming from the passenger side around and to the left of the throttle body. Since I replaced mine, no problems.

Good luck.

Mike.......I have had a rough idle problem on my 94 SC Auto for about 6 months that has been driving me bat ****. The past few weeks it has gotten worse, to the point the car stalls sometimes at lights. I believe this is an indication the leak, if that is what it is, is getting worse. If I remember there are three lines that run to the fuel tank. Where in the line did you find your leak? Also, my gas mileage is like 12-13 MPG. Any help would be appreciated!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

i had the same problem

i had the same problem untill i changed my o2 on my 89 them the problem acoured when my blanincer broke the steal ring came lose from the aluminom hub the rubber that houldes it to gethar dried rotted and fell out

Back