PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Good used 1994 Bird 4.6 Motor

ALTE797
11-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi guys !!! Im new here, hope this is okay to post "wanted" in this forum. Im from Richmond Hill and we have a '94 LX that needs in need of a fresh(er) 4.6. No panic, the current motor's still running great but after 320k it's developed a knock. Anyhow if anyone has a good used motor please let me know !! Thanks !! :)

lazybird4pt6
11-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the club!

Just curious, are you the guy from the Mustang Show at the Oakville plant, with the Teal (???) Bird? IIRC, you were there with your dad.

Used 4.6? Are you on a budget? I know that there used to be one at Megacity Auto Wreckers. Do a Search using the Advanced settings. Keyword = Megacity, Forum = SCCoO. Get their contact info from there. Why not just upgrade to a newer one ('96+)? FAR better engine (and trans too!).

Jeff
11-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the club!

Just curious, are you the guy from the Mustang Show at the Oakville plant, with the Teal (???) Bird? IIRC, you were there with your dad.

Used 4.6? Are you on a budget? I know that there used to be one at Megacity Auto Wreckers. Do a Search using the Advanced settings. Keyword = Megacity, Forum = SCCoO. Get their contact info from there. Why not just upgrade to a newer one ('96+)? FAR better engine (and trans too!).

I've been to Mega City, a month ago, 4.6 is gone, only a black SC with almost everything gone in it. Sorry for the news.

BTW, guys, I work about 15 mins for Mega City, If anyone ever needs something contact me and i can get it for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

ALTE797
11-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the club!

Hey Lazybird ! Yes, we were at the Stang Show at Oakville, The Teal Bird with the knock !! Actually Im the dad. (The Mustang side of the family). Thanks ! We're going to try and contact Megacity. Re putting a 96 motor into the 94 Bird, is there any major rewiring needed ?? THANKS !!!

lazybird4pt6
11-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh boy, what did I just start! LOL!

Putting a '96+ block ONLY and keeping your original topend (heads, intake, etc) would be a FAR easier and simpler task. Strip everything down, swap it over and away you go. Depending on the year of the block you may, or may not, have problems with the tranny. The "catch" is with the number of bolts used to hold the flexplate (for the torque converter). Early years used 6 bolts, later used 8, but this also depends on if it's a "Romeo" block, or "Windsor" block.

Putting a '96+ engine is another story. The same considerations need to be taken into account with the block, but you will also have to worry about your PCM harness (changed in '96 to accomodate the newer intake manifod), the PCM itself, your fuel lines, etc. This can be a very duanting task for the faint of heart.

I don't know how your mechanical skill are, or what your finances can support, or what the condition of the body (of the vehicle) are like, so I can't say which route you would want to go. It might be a better idea to simply find a '94-98 block and just swap it in, keeping your original top end. This is a decision only you can make. I just wanted to make you aware of your options.

I was at Megacity about 3 weeks ago and they had a '94/95 in the back, but it was a "Fireman's Special" (the front end). Perhaps some quick calls around can find you a better piece to work with. Don't forget, you are not only limited to the 4.6 from a Bird, you can also source from a Crown Vic or a Grand Marquis (but don't quote me on this, there may be subtle differences i'm not aware of).

Hope that helps (to do somthing other than confuse you - LOL!)

mn12bird
11-15-2004, 04:59 PM
cough..... DOHC swap!!!

Seriously if I blew my engine there is no way in hell I'd be putting another lame SOHCammer in it!!! Considering the DOHC 4.6 will swap right in using the stock harness and bolt right upto everything you can't go wrong!! All you need is a chip in your ECC to make it all work and you will have a 300hp engine!!

Jake

OzzManG149
11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Ive got a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII motor (DOHC 4.6L) if your interested it has 80,000 miles on it..

ALTE797
11-16-2004, 12:38 AM
Mmm... Maybe we should look for a good used 99+ Stang motor / tranny !!! maybe easier to find too .. Any suggestions for a good shop in the GTA who could do a swap like that ?

lazybird4pt6
11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Okay, let's handle this differently. Properly.

1) how much can you afford to spend on this?

2) what do you want as an end result?

These are THE two most important questions to answer in a situation like this. If my memory isn't totally gone I believe the body and underside of the car were good in your Bird, so it might be worthwile to get something with a little more "oomph". A SOHC or DOHC are possible, as are others, so finances and "requirements" are key to making a good chioce.

Jason Wild
11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
it's all about how much money you have.
I'm in Richmond Hill as well I think I have neen you around.

ALTE797
11-18-2004, 12:22 AM
it's all about how much money you have.

Mmmmm good question. The car is excellent. Oil sprayed every year, so the body is mint. The car has 320K on it, but was previously owned by a fanatic ; he had every service done at the dealer, including replacing light bulbs ! Tranny was rebuilt 100k ago. Even though it has high miles, because its been meticuliously maintained, its a real tight car. But we're not sure wether to do a direct swap of the motor (I think easiest and cheapest) or upgrade to more power. I think a budget of $1500. Is there much we can do with that kind of budget ?

ALTE797
11-18-2004, 12:33 AM

Hey Jason, yeah actually the car is "owned" by my 17 year old son , so you've probably seen him driving it. (Hopefully driving well) The Bird is a Teal LX and has factory 15" Alloys. We live near Mill Pond. A guy around the corner from us came over to look at my son's car a few months ago, and quickly caught the "bird bug". He just picked up a "Sandtone?" beige 94 Bird LX, V8 also in great shape. I'm driving a Mustang GT vert.

lazybird4pt6
11-18-2004, 06:43 PM
With a budget of $1500 you definetly won't be looking at a DOHC. Not unless it needs to be rebuilt. For that kind of money you would probably be best to find someone selling a shortblock (block and internals only). I'm NOT saying you won't find a complete engine for that much, but anyone selling a block with reasonably low KM will want a few bucks for it. Take a look around on the various forums and see what you can find. Good luck!

Dirtyd0g
12-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a good running 95 4.6 you can take out of my garage for $300. I drove the car in so I know it ran fine.
Alan

Evil_bob
12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I have a good running 95 4.6 you can take out of my garage for $300. I drove the car in so I know it ran fine.
Alan

how many miles on the engine?

Dirtyd0g
12-13-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure exactly the car had 98,000 on it ,but I was told it had been replaced before they bought the car. I do know it ran good, I would suggest cleaning the intake and EGR out along with a water pump and some new plugs.
Alan

ALTE797
12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Alan

DirtydOG thanks - sounds great - Id jump on your offer, but Im in Toronto which is a bit far to pick up I think. Would I need a new Harness for a 95 motor ? Your in Ohio right ?

Dirtyd0g
12-15-2004, 01:31 PM
DirtydOG thanks - sounds great - Id jump on your offer, but Im in Toronto which is a bit far to pick up I think. Would I need a new Harness for a 95 motor ? Your in Ohio right ?
For a 94 car you can use the harness on that engine. Yes I am in ohio near cincinnati.
Alan

OzzManG149
12-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Ive got a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII DOHC motor I would let go for $800.00. It has 80,000 miles on it. The motor is esentially the same as the Cobra motor except for the cams and the intake. If your interested let me know. It comes with the EEC also.

jnpmismash
01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi guys !!! Im new here, hope this is okay to post "wanted" in this forum. Im from Richmond Hill and we have a '94 LX that needs in need of a fresh(er) 4.6. No panic, the current motor's still running great but after 320k it's developed a knock. Anyhow if anyone has a good used motor please let me know !! Thanks !! :)
I hope I didn't see this too late, I might have exactly what you need. I've got a 94 4.6 lx bird. it's even teal the engine only has 114--- miles and I just put in a new tranny in it. If you have any intrest in purchasing the entire car, I'm looking to get $1200 for it. If you want anymore info you can e-mail me at jnpmismash@yahoo.com The car is in overall really good shape. the only thing that is keeping me from driving it, is that the air conditioning compressor clutch is shot. Let me know if this can help you.

fast Ed
01-17-2005, 10:37 AM
One of my friends in Brampton from the GTA Mustang Club is selling the shortblock from his 99 GT, no heads included ...

http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301

Might be a good starting point.

cheers,
Ed N.

ALTE797
02-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks Ed, I saw that one on the GTAMC site ....

One of my friends in Brampton from the GTA Mustang Club is selling the shortblock from his 99 GT, no heads included ...

http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301

Might be a good starting point.

cheers,
Ed N.\\