PDA

View Full Version : need help ASAP! i need to get back to school!

89Superbird5spd
11-13-2004, 09:52 PM
*the way i describe everything is as if you were standing at the front of the car looking at the motor*
alright supercoupe guru's heres one for ya. i noticed some smoke from my motor so i checked it out...turns out im leaking antifreeze from somewhere on the left side of the motor (thats where the smoke is). i got under the car and ran it for a little bit untill it started to leak. there is no sign of antifreeze leaks along where the head meets the block. i dont see any hoses leaking. it looks like its leaking from where the valve cover meets the head, on the left side...the corner closest to the firewall. right near that corner bolt. but to my knowledge there were no channels for antifreeze to flow through that met up with the valve cover. i didnt see any fluids spraying either. there is also no antifreeze in my oil. any ideas? ill try anything! i need to drive 200 miles to school tomorrow...so i kinda need my car. thanks everyone!
-RJ

91_SC_BIRD
11-13-2004, 10:25 PM
My car would sometimes do the samething, out of no where a puff of white smoke would come out of the engine. In my case the problem was that the valve cover bolts came loose. I know you said antifreeze, but something that might me worth checking.

Thaddisgood
11-13-2004, 11:28 PM
The same thing happend to my car today

89Superbird5spd
11-14-2004, 01:11 AM
ok i figured it out i think. there is a 3/8 inch rubber hose that runs to the bottom of the throttle body. turns out mine was cracked and the antifreeze was dripping down onto the valve cover and running around to the side. you cant see the leak unless you are literally laying on the motor while its running to see it drip (im not a very big guy, so i can lay on a motor while its running :cool: ) so im gonna replace the hose tomorrow and ill let you know if it fixes the problem! thanks for the help. hope this helped ya thaddisgood.
-RJ

littleboylan
11-14-2004, 05:27 PM
I was fighting a coolant leak for like 6 months, just couldnt find it. I took it to my girlfriends dad, he works up at a stealership around here. It was a clamp that broke on a line, right underneath the dis module. If the throttlebody leak to solve everything, you can try checking there. Mike

Tony8470
11-14-2004, 06:34 PM
you could try taking off the throttle body and just capping the lines off. That line doesn't run through anything but the throttle. And it's an unecessary line. It branches off from the heater core line and goes back to it at the driver side. Maybe increase a little milage on long trips.

89Superbird5spd
11-16-2004, 02:34 AM
shes all fixed! thanks for the help everyone!