Request info on Freon Cooling intake charge

ferrarop

Does anyone have info in regards to cooling the air that pumps out of the out of the blower on the 3.8L like Ford does on the 5.4L GT40 engine? I would appreciate your help. I have access to a scroll compressor that can handle 10,000 rpm. I am handy with a welder to make an intake in necessary. Also, have access to a friend that is in the wholesale AC business. (Custom; hoses, evaporator core etc...)

Thanks,
Pat :)

ferrarop said:
Does anyone have info in regards to cooling the air that pumps out of the out of the blower on the 3.8L like Ford does on the 5.4L GT40 engine? I would appreciate your help. I have access to a scroll compressor that can handle 10,000 rpm. I am handy with a welder to make an intake in necessary. Also, have access to a friend that is in the wholesale AC business. (Custom; hoses, evaporator core etc...)

Thanks,
Pat :)
Are you wanting to inject the freon into the airstream?
Are you wanting to build a cooling jacket for the piping?
Are you wanting to build an exchanger for the airstream to pass through?

just a LITTLE more info is needed :)

'bird

tbird88 said:

'bird

I was wanting to build an exchanger for the airstream to pass through. I'm open for suggestions.

Not sure how the stock system works... Does Ford cool the air before or after the eaton supercharger?

tbird88 said:

'bird

By the way I saw Stevie 2 times before he passed away. 1 time iat the Bronco Bowl & the last time at Will Rogers in FW. SRV rocks...

ferrarop said:
I was wanting to build an exchanger for the airstream to pass through. I'm open for suggestions.

Not sure how the stock system works... Does Ford cool the air before or after the eaton supercharger?
Your member page sez you own a '90SC so it was a little confusing why you asked how the air charge is cooled.

What kind of project are you building? Me and plenty others would be happy to help you along.

'bird

ps: Don't ever mention SRV, I'll talk yer ear off. I saw him backstage in '85 before he cleaned up, got an autograph and still have 2 unused tickets. Ever get a chance, read the book "Caught in the Crossfire". It's an astounding wealth of info and full of surprises. Things like him learnin' licks by hidin' in the closet playin' along to Jimmy's tape/record collection after his brother went cruisin' with friends. Jimmy came back home unexpectedly one time and Stevie didn't realize it, Jimmy found him in the closet and beat the #$@& outa Stevie for messin' with his records. Other stuff like Jimmy datin' Bonnie Raitt, playin' at Stubs BBQ in Lubbock, etc etc etc.
Also tells a lot about Stevie walkin' a thin edge bad. Watch him in some of his early-mid 80's videos and read the book and you'll get my drift.

Eric Clapton: "I was driving along outside London and heard this...this...this guitar player on the box and pulled over to the side of the motorway. I decided right then that before the day was over I absolutely had to find out who this fellow was".

Injecting Freon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbird88 said:
That's funny Wynn!!!!!! Funny like the guy who plumbed nitrous into his gas tank! Ask a Heater/Air guy what happens when that stuff burns!

68COUGAR
_________

I got the following reply from a Heater/Air friend of mine, about burning Freon (Ra-134 also?)

I believe you need a special permit/inspections, etc. to incinerate refrigerants per EPA. Otherwise, the fine is $25,000 per instance (with the snitch getting $10,000 of it).

Yes, CFC's do produce phosgene gas when burned. Phosgene was used along with mustard gas in the first World War by the Germans.

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
That's funny Wynn!!!!!! Funny like the guy who plumbed nitrous into his gas tank! Ask a Heater/Air guy what happens when that stuff burns!

68COUGAR
Hey, somebody had to ask him. Ya never know, he might've been to ILIKEJUGS website-and-fireworks-emporium or found Manny's top secret webpage of speed secrets. No tellin' what he was thinkin' of doin' so I asked just to be sure.

By the way, how're those anti-HWH magnetic clutch axles of yours comin' along?

:)

'bird

tbird88 said:
Your member page sez you own a '90SC so it was a little confusing why you asked how the air charge is cooled.

What kind of project are you building? Me and plenty others would be happy to help you along.

'bird

ps: Don't ever mention SRV, I'll talk yer ear off. I saw him backstage in '85 before he cleaned up, got an autograph and still have 2 unused tickets. Ever get a chance, read the book "Caught in the Crossfire". It's an astounding wealth of info and full of surprises. Things like him learnin' licks by hidin' in the closet playin' along to Jimmy's tape/record collection after his brother went cruisin' with friends. Jimmy came back home unexpectedly one time and Stevie didn't realize it, Jimmy found him in the closet and beat the #$@& outa Stevie for messin' with his records. Other stuff like Jimmy datin' Bonnie Raitt, playin' at Stubs BBQ in Lubbock, etc etc etc.
Also tells a lot about Stevie walkin' a thin edge bad. Watch him in some of his early-mid 80's videos and read the book and you'll get my drift.

Eric Clapton: "I was driving along outside London and heard this...this...this guitar player on the box and pulled over to the side of the motorway. I decided right then that before the day was over I absolutely had to find out who this fellow was".

My SC was totaled a couple of months ago. I'm going to the use the engine, big breaks, etc.. on a 77 Cobra. The top end of the SC 3.8L is about to be transplaned onto a 4.2L block. The block came from a dealer, off a truck for warranty purposes. So far, I'm looking at machine work to accomidate O-ring heads, a custom blower cam, wire harness, etc...

While I'm tinkering with engine I would like to set up the intake, like the GT40, to cool the incoming air charge. Not sure if this is practical due to the plumbing on the Eaton setup.

When the car was healthy it would run 15lbs of boost before all the lights on the dash would start blinking. I'm looking forward to runnning this engine again. I can't image it in a 2,200 pound car. (My little Rice burner). It will be quite understated and will blow the doors off of any import. That's my goal.

I have a SC shop manual. It is burried in book boxes. I am in the process of rearranging my garage so I can work comfortably on the Cobra Project.

Currently my body man expert and I are installing a sun roof off of a RX7. It looks stock. So far we have separed the mechanicals, structure & roof skin. We then bonded the top of the RX7 skin to the underside of the Cobra II roof. Next I performed the rough cut by drilling pilot holes from the interior of the car 1/2" proud of the finished opening. It really looks good so far. After we fininsh up with the roof I'm going to turn my attention to the front unibody frame. Due to some rust through I've decided to replace all the metal from the fire will forward above the lower frame, including the radiator core support. I have some square tubing that I will be fabricating the new frame structure with.

Are you kidding a reading from the book of SRV??? Of course I was done reading that thing 2 days after it was released.

Let me know If you ever head up to Texas Motor speed way. I live relatively close to the track. I would like to see your car. I miss my SC. But the heart of Super Chicken will live on...............

ferrarop said:
The top end of the SC 3.8L is about to be transplaned onto a 4.2L block. The block came from a dealer, off a truck for warranty purposes. So far, I'm looking at machine work to accomidate O-ring heads, a custom blower cam, wire harness, etc...

Have you considered the work you should do to the bottom end of that block. Not to familiar with that bock, but I would want to make sure the connecting rods and crankshaft can take the extra load. It doesn't help if the head stays together while throwing the rod out the bottom of the oil pan.

Anti-HWH Magnetic Clutch Axles

tbird88 said:
By the way, how're those anti-HWH magnetic clutch axles of yours comin' along? :)

Damn, I thought those were TOP SECRET!!!!! I guess somebody musta let the clutch outa the bag, so to speak. Big design hurtal though. It takes a neuclear reactor to generate strong enough magnets for the clutches. I'm hoping "Cold Fusion" will work just as well, though a slightly longer process.

The original Anti-HWH Magnetic Axles were used on the "Back to the Future car. They wouldn't stand up to the TQ of an SC, & shattered the magnets on my first hard launch. The newer/heavier/stronger magnets should hold the TQ.

68COUGAR
_________

Mike8675309 said:
Have you considered the work you should do to the bottom end of that block. Not to familiar with that bock, but I would want to make sure the connecting rods and crankshaft can take the extra load. It doesn't help if the head stays together while throwing the rod out the bottom of the oil pan.

That part I'm leaving up to the Engine/Electronics expert. Thanks for the advice I will run your comments by him. I'm pretty sure he has done this before. He is a Ford factory SVT certified master mechanic/technician.

Again thanks for the advice... :eek:

Back