break lights don't come on early enough

Scott-Atah

How do i go about changing the amount of break pressure needed before the brake lights come on?

pay no attention to my wrong spellign of brake lights above.....i've typed about 90 000 words tonight or so.

But yeah, my lights come on...but only when the pedal is almost pushed fully to the floor, can't push it safely that hard in normal driving.

How do i fix?

i had that same problem with my 89sc. there is some sort of switch or something near the top of the brake pedal. im not quite sure what it was because it was night time when i fixed it and never looked at it again, but it felt like a square plastic piece and i just pulled on it a little towards the drivers seat and i heard it click a couple of times. i tried it again and as soon as i barely pressed on the pedal the lights came on. sorry for the lack of knowledge hope this helps.

If it takes that much movement, then the stoplamp switch is worn out. They're like $6 at Autozone. If you have a 90 model, you'll probably notice at times it won't turn over. The brake light switch is part of the starter circuit.

Back