Converter Options

tim

I am getting ready to have my 12 in. Lentech non lockup converter redone from 2200 to 2700-2800. The big question is would I be better off gettin a lighter smaller converter? Who makes good converters other then Lentech? What is the smallest I should go on a street strip application? Any info would really be appreciated.

You cannot efficiently convert a 12 inch converter to anything above about 2400 stall. A smaller converter will be lighter and help the engine to rev faster.
I don't want to be banned for advertising and I really don't know the policy's around here but if you pm me I can lead you down the right path.
Alan

Tim,
I have a converter built by Alan. It is a 10" converter that stalls around 2500. I have improve my best time by 3 tenths and gain 3 mph. The converter temp is around 160-180 with an external cooler.
I would give Alan a pm. He helped me with mine.
Later
Ken

Tim,

If your gonna go to the trouble to pull the converter, I'd go with a smaller diameter 9.5 or 10" (lighter) and switch to non-locking (more torque in 3rd). If your gonna drive it on the street don't go any looser than 2500 stall, if mainly for the track 2700-2800.

Just remember that with a non-locking converter your stall speed needs to be a couple hundred rpms lower than your cruising rpms. With 3.73 gears mine runs about 2800 rpms at 70 mph.

David

Last edited:
David I have a 12 inch non locking lentech converter now. I really like it problem is it only stalls at about 2300. I cant really get more out of it so I will have to go with a 10 non locking converter. I want 2700-2800. I will have to wait a while to save for one. Like I said mostly drag racing and putting around town.

David Neibert said:
I thought his name is Alan.

David
It is.

I just changed my name to Dirtydog from abconverters because this is the name most people know me by. That and Bill @ Supercoupe Performance will be selling my converters. I just don't have the time to answer questions and build the converters myself. That and Bill is a good guy to deal with, most people are familiar with him.
Alan

tim said:
Hey sparkey!! Paul is a guy in Ohio that builds custom converters.

Hey knucklehead, I though you told me you had a 10" converter??? You get your pulley yet???

I finally found mine. Too bad the recyclers will only give me $0.90 for it. :(

I have not bought a thing yet. 10 cents is more like it. I thought it was a 10 inch converter. BUT NO!! Its a 12 inch so I have to get another converter.

Now you know why the car is such a pig off the line. I get $0.35/lb for aluminum so at 2.5lbs the pulley gets me $0.87 so there! :mad:

Back