engine install with KOOKS midlength

graywolf

I'm sticking my engine back in next week.
I have KOOKS midlength headers for it.
Has anybody out there done an install with these headers on the engine?
Is it easier to just add the headers after the engine is in place or part way in?
thx,
BobB 'graywolf' :rolleyes:

I've had mine in and out a few times with the headers attached. It's tight, and the steering shaft really needs to be wrestled out of the way, but it's easier than trying to put the headers on once the engine is in the car....

DLF said:
I've had mine in and out a few times with the headers attached. It's tight, and the steering shaft really needs to be wrestled out of the way, but it's easier than trying to put the headers on once the engine is in the car....
I installed my engine with the driver's side header already installed and waited to install the passenger side later. I know people have done it, but I didn't see how. I would have installed both later to make the install easier, but I had to install the dipstick tube at the same time as the header due to issues with my main stud girdle....there's no way I could have installed the dipstick tube with the engine in the car, period!

Ken Seegers said:
I have installed both headers on engine then installled the motor with no problems.
later
Ken
Ken, you installed yours with the old "Hull" shorties, right?

I think it also depends on the year of your car. If you have a 89-92, you will have to deal with the bigger brake reservoir.

Anyway, Good Luck with the install.

Bob,

We removed mine once with the headers attached and had to dissconect the rag joint and turn the steering shaft several revolutions to get it un-jammed on the drivers side header. Since then the headers have been removed before pulling the motor and installed after it's back in.

You can get away with installing one side (either side), but with both headers on your going to get stuck on the steering shaft. With two people you may be able to wiggle and pry it into position, but I don't like doing that when trying to align with the transmission.

David

We put mine in with longtube headers and auto tranny installed. The steering shaft should slide back nearly to the firewall, once the rag joint is disconnected. The rad was out and that engine tilter device is a lifesaver!

IN4.jpg

IN5.jpg

Kurt K said:
Ken, you installed yours with the old "Hull" shorties, right?

I think it also depends on the year of your car. If you have a 89-92, you will have to deal with the bigger brake reservoir.

Anyway, Good Luck with the install.
Kurt,
Yes I used the old "Hull" shorties. This winter project...Long tubes with engine in car.
Later
Ken

gldiii said:
The rad was out and that engine tilter device is a lifesaver!
I think the secret has finally been uncovered. After all of the numerous thread regarding this subject, I think this is the first time I saw it mentioned that the radiator was not in the car! That would definitely give you more room. I even saw the pics before, but never paid attention to the missing radiator :rolleyes:

Back