modifying the 55mm maf

1owner89

I’ve noticed that other mafs do not have a screen on the front so I took the screen off of my 55mm maf. It pulls a little harder through the upper rpm and has increased the boost by about ½ psi or roughly whatever the width of the needle equates to. I have never heard of someone doing this before so did I over looked this thread and is this old news or is this common knowledge as something not to do. As far as performance I put it close to the same gain as removing the air silencer. Any comments or cautions on this would be appreciated.

Guys, the screen is there for a reason. Your sample tube needs the air straightening so that the sensor wire gets an accurate reading. People used to do this on camaros and trans ams all the time and they'd start to ping. You might not hear it over the sweet sound of SC. Aftermarket sensors don't have the screen because the sample tube is designed differently.

kick

If you are looking for a kick from the MAF, the screen is not the way to go. What you should do is find a MAF with electronics from a 91-93 SC...which is 70mm, quite the upgrade from the 55mm. I did the MN12 MAF mod on mine with new electronics, Some say that it will run rich or lean, I personally think that the larger sampling tube should yeild more accurate readings, but I will get a wide band O2 test to see for sure. The 70mm will open your intake more..much more than removing a screen...ever hear of a senlf-fulfilling prophecy???haha

Good luck,
Aaron

5 cfm... not much when youre talking 550-555. What about the MAF from my 94 LX? will that work on my 89? Is the throttle body on a 94 LX any better over the 89?

I had drilled my 94 MAF out and i noticed a dif with it on my 94.

Back