need help with shifter.....

ddw350

my 94 auto shift button popped out of the shifter the other day.its held in by a rubber band wrapped around it now.ford says the plastic botton is not available[imagine that] but you have to get the whole shifter which is $70.if i take the little spring out and rig the button so it stays in,its to easy to bump out of gear,or knock it in reverse.is the shifter easy to replace..any ideas...thanks

Newer style button will work if you modify where the spring fits.On original button the spring fits over a plastic pin.On replacement button spring fits on a rectangular plastic tab and bottom of spring ends up being too far from the base of the button ,preventing the button from going far enough into the knob to work.The rectangular tab needs to be narrowed a bit so the spring bottom is on the base of the button.This takes about 30 sec with a dremel.If you look at the new and old buttons side by side it will be very obvious what needs to be done.

well

well-i have a 95 shifter i will happily gank the button out of (or the entire shifter) and send to you for the cost of shipping. Mike

we'll see...its in at ford,wont get it till friday though.i'll see what happens...thanks for the help

Back