255/50-16's on stock 89 wheels

I ran some Goodyear GSCs in that size many years ago on my 89 SC stock rims. I would not do it again. They look like doughnuts on steroids, do not handle well, wear funny and are just too big for a 7" rim.

There are some 235's that give you a little more width and are about stock height, if you are looking to upgrade your tires. Some 245s are also available but many are shorter than the stock tires and accentuate that 4x4 look, if a 'Bird is not lowered.

I have 255-50's, but they are on 17" rims...shouldn't make that big of a difference though, and I am very happy with how they look. My rims are 7" too by the way.

John

newbird1.jpg

My drag tires are that size on stock rims. I dont really like the look, they are shorter than stock and are a little big for the rim. No idea how they handle.

-Travis

Another Opinion

I am on my second set of 255/50/16 tires on stock wheels. The first were BF Goodrich Comp TA's and I now have Good Year F1 Steel. I have not have the problems mentioned above and IMHO this is the best looking combo of wheels and tires I have ever seen on a SC. I had a high dollar set of Simmons 17" wheels and never liked the look. Same goes for the Cobra R's. They just don't look right to me. I know there is one other that agrees with me and that is Jimmy White. See his car on the home page this month. It is just like mine except I don't have the hood.

A better choice would be 245-55-16, which unfortunately is not offered by many companies. It would be very close to stock diameter, but wider obviously. Or even 235-55-16, which is used as on OE size on some 94-up Camaros and Firebirds, and the newer S-10 "Extreme" girlie-man trucks. So there may be more choice in that size, it would be about 1/2" shorter diameter than the stock 225-60-16. 255-50-16 is about 6/10s" shorter. And remember, that can vary by brand and type as well. I remember having 3 different manufacturers' 245-50-16 standing in my garage for my old 5.0 Stang at the same time (the car was used for Solo I and Solo II as well as street, so I went through LOTS of different tires). Anyway, from 10 feet away there was a visible difference in the height and width of the different tires. One set I had to try, some General XP2000Z G-compound, which was their motorsport sticky tire at the time, was squeezed when installed on my 8" rims they were so big. Usually a 245-50-16 is quite comfortable on an 8. They went on my 9" Simmons rims beauty though. Just barely fit under the little 87 Stang with that combo.

So have a close look at the particular brand and model you're considering, the tire companies' catalogues will give height, tread width, and section (overall) width dimensions.

Sorry, I'm being long-winded as usual :)

cheers
Ed N.

255/50/16 BFG Drag Radials on stock SC Rims

I've had BFG Drag Radials 255/50/16's on my stock SC rims for about 2 weeks, besides the look for the rear being smaller than my front (which i want 50's for the front as well) i love these tires, but there isnt much tread on them. there so sticky. Picks up alot of little rocks and pebbles..I'd recomend these tires to anyone that wants a street legal (D.O.T) Drag tire to go with BFG Drag Radials.

i got some goodyear 255 50 16 on my stock 93 rims and i like the way they look,makes the back look bigger or somethin but i dont know about if i would get em again cause its the only ones i got so far but i like the way they look

Dunlop

Dunlop SP5000 Asymmetrical 255/50/16 on stock wheels. They do buldge a little, but I like that look. They seem to get traction much better than the Badyears I previously had, at around $120 a tire they are a little expensive, but worth it imo. Sipped for wet water (which they seem to be excellent in), and nice grooves for water disipation. I know a few people have them on their bird. The sidewall does not flex anywhere near the badyears I previously had, so that makes the car much more stable when cornering. I think if your going for hard cornering go with the 245, but to me for an all around 255 fits my needs.

Back