Having trouble installing balancer

935spd

I can't seem to get the balancer on the crankshaft far enough to get the bolt started with the washer. It will slide on the heway about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch but won't go on any further. I have tried hitting it with a dead blow hammer, but it won't move forward any more. Anyone have any tips or sugestions? I know there is a installation tool, but it seems to me that it should go on farther than it will and I should be able to start the bolt and draw it on.

Getting frustrated,
Nick

I've always used the install tool when installing HB's. It's the best way to go about it. I'm pretty sure Autozone rents the tool even.

-Rod

Yes autozone rents the installer tool, or you could just get a longer bolt the same thread pitch and size and use that. I seriously dont suggest hitting it with a hammer as it is aluminum and will break very easy. I had a shop install one on my 89 xr7 and they hit it on with a hammer didnt seem to know what they were doing and needless to say when i started the car it broke right off. Good luck.

NICK

Use the installation tool....it has a ball bearing to remove the friction from rotating the head of the bolt against the washer. It's going to be harder to install than an OEM dampener because the hub is steel instead of soft aluminum and it supposed to have an interference fit meaning the dampner is .001-.0015 inch smaller than the crank shaft.

It should go on far enough to get the keyway alligned then it has to be pressed on the rest of the way. You should also apply a thin coating of anti seize to the crank shaft before installing the dampner.

David

I am installing a brand new Ford balancer. Thanks for your help, guess I will get the install tool.

Nick

Please do not beat your HB onto the crank! Your new HB and your cranks thrust bearing will thank you and not self destruct in order to pay you back for your evil deed. ;)

If you take a look at the MN12 site, Rich has some install recommendations for the new steel balancers (applies to stock as well) and gives you info about using a longer bolt. If you don't rent the tool but use a longer bolt make sure you lube the washer plenty.

Back