8.8 question

YES! I have a set of 3.08's that I'm going to install in a spare rear differential. I like the 3.27's I have, but they're not interstate friendly!

FearThis SC said:
YES! I have a set of 3.08's that I'm going to install in a spare rear differential. I like the 3.27's I have, but they're not interstate friendly!

I don't know man. I don't ever run past 100mph and I figure I can still get to about 120 if i need to. My car has a 5spd and I added the 3.27s a few years ago. In 5th gear at 70 mph the rpms are about 2000, so the power is ready to go. I can jump up to 90 from 70 in 5 sec I would guess, but I have never timed it.

I will say though, I have to get out of 1st gear a lot faster than I want to now.

"What Jue Talkin' Bout Willis"?

ILikeFtLbs said:
I don't know man. I don't ever run past 100mph and I figure I can still get to about 120 if i need to. My car has a 5spd and I added the 3.27s a few years ago. In 5th gear at 70 mph the rpms are about 2000, so the power is ready to go. I can jump up to 90 from 70 in 5 sec I would guess, but I have never timed it.

I will say though, I have to get out of 1st gear a lot faster than I want to now.
Dude, the question was about 8.8" Ring / Pinion gears. Not MPH or RPM.

BTW: Every Supercoupe ever made, will do 130 mph, even the speed limited AOD's. The 5-spds will do more ('89 XR-7 factory rated to 146 mph!)

68COUGAR

I have read things that state that the ring and pinion on a Tbird and a Mustang 8.8 are different. Not true I guess?

R & P = R & P

fastfordfan1 said:
I have read things that state that the ring and pinion on a Tbird and a Mustang 8.8 are different. Not true I guess?
With ring & pinions, 8.8" is 8.8"!

Is there something else you want to ask?

68COUGAR
_________

Carrier vs. Integral

thebigslide said:
Just the carrier is different. The mustang carrier is meant for use with c-clips
8.8" Diffs. don't have a Carrier. The 8.8" diff. has the Integral Differential.

You can identify Integral Differentials because all the "guts" of the rear end, STAY in the rear end.

The 8" or 9" Carrier {PIG} (Ring, Pinion, & Differential), is FULLY removeable from the car.

Lets get our Ford Terms right, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

FearThis SC said:

What are you talking about, I had 3.27's in my 5 speed and I got really decent gas milage while she ran... I also had no prob burrying the needle.

May she RIP.
P3210035.jpg

Spare Differential

FearThis SC said:
I'm going to install in a spare rear differential.
How do you install a Spare Rear Differential? Once it's Installed, it's the main part, no longer a spare. Do you have "spare" differentials laying around, for your various cars?

Curious 68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
How do you install a Spare Rear Differential? Once it's Installed, it's the main part, no longer a spare. Do you have "spare" differentials laying around, for your various cars?

Curious 68COUGAR

I have extras for my cars;)

68COUGAR said:

Curious 68COUGAR
Spare meaning 2.73 differential from my 92. I bought a complete pumpkin from a 90 w/ 3.27!

sc0tty8 said:
What are you talking about, I had 3.27's in my 5 speed and I got really decent gas milage while she ran... I also had no prob burrying the needle.
I'm talking about at highway speeds the engine is turning more RPM's than I like thus the reason I'm going to 3.08's. I never said anything about complaining about gas mileage.

Last edited:
Back