underdrive pulleys question

ARV90SC

so i ordered a stock size set of just the crank and waterpump pulley, but due to a shipping error, they sent the underdrive set, the only catch theres no new underdrive alternator pulley, wondering if this would affect performance if i just used the 2 and kept my stock alternator one???????

I'm running a underdrive set with the stock alternator and I have no negative issues to report. And I still noticed a definate seat of the pants improvement in the go department. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
I'm running a underdrive set with the stock alternator and I have no negative issues to report. And I still noticed a definate seat of the pants improvement in the go department. John

am i going to run into problems with cooling?

Many have done what you're refering to and there are no problems w/ cooling or by running the set without the alternator pulley.

I ran the ASP set w/ all 3 and cooling was fine, plus like mentioned above the seat of the pants improvements are nice :D

-Tim

I now have Tim's pullies on my car minus the alt. pully and have no problems. I didn't notice a huge seat of the pants difference but I did drop a tenth in my 1/4 mile time.

ARV90SC said:
am i going to run into problems with cooling?

I live in Az and I installed the udp in June or July. I haven't had one bit of overheating issues even when it was 115 ambient. I often drive an approx 6 degree grade that's about ten miles long and it runs just like stock even on the hottest of days. I was concerned about the running hot issue, as you are, but don't worry. If your cooling system is good now it'll be fine after the udp install. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
I live in Az and I installed the udp in June or July. I haven't had one bit of overheating issues even when it was 115 ambient. I often drive an approx 6 degree grade that's about ten miles long and it runs just like stock even on the hottest of days. I was concerned about the running hot issue, as you are, but don't worry. If your cooling system is good now it'll be fine after the udp install. John

hmm how does a underdrvie pulley set give you power? i don't really get it
and i got a BHJ balancer, will it effect anything?

The UD's work by making the accessories spin less, kinda like changing the gearing in your diff. It'll feel like you have more power if you go to 3.73's.
I did notice a slight increase in temperature which for mine is no prob since my SC always runs a bit cool. If yours usually runs warm, you may want to look at improving cooling. I defenatly as well felt a nice increase. Revs rise much quicker now as well.
The ballancer shouldn't do much as far as adding HP I think. It's just a better, nicer looking piece than the stock unit.

Re: ...

ARV90SC said:
hmm how does a underdrvie pulley set give you power? i don't really get it
and i got a BHJ balancer, will it effect anything?

By underdriving all the acc. more HP is available to the rear wheels.. free hp!
But if you have a big stereo, you'll need to spin the alternator fast enough at idle to keep the charge up. :)

The BHJ balancer is a lot heavier than the stock balancer.
The biggest gain you will get from any alunimun underdrive
pulley set,Is mostly gained from weight savings from the
aluminum underdrive pulley set.More so than any gain
received from the gear reduction because of the smaller
or larger diameter of the pullies.

For max performance from a aluminum underdrive pulley set.
Its best to use a stock aluminum & steel balancer.

The BHJ balancer will rob over half of the weight savings
gained from the aluminum underdrive pully set.

But with daily use the heavier balancer BHJ will help make a
crankshaft live longer.The extra weight on the outside
diameter of the balancer will help to exsorbe more shock
waves from the crank.

I don't run the alternator pulley,and works just fine.

Randy

Check Out My Post On The Hbj Blalancer

Randy N Connie said:
The BHJ balancer is a lot heavier than the stock balancer.
The biggest gain you will get from any alunimun underdrive
pulley set,Is mostly gained from weight savings from the
aluminum underdrive pulley set.More so than any gain
received from the gear reduction because of the smaller
or larger diameter of the pullies.

For max performance from a aluminum underdrive pulley set.
Its best to use a stock aluminum & steel balancer.

The BHJ balancer will rob over half of the weight savings
gained from the aluminum underdrive pully set.

But with daily use the heavier balancer BHJ will help make a
crankshaft live longer.The extra weight on the outside
diameter of the balancer will help to exsorbe more shock
waves from the crank.

I don't run the alternator pulley,and works just fine.

Randy
I AGREE WITH YOU, SEE MY IDEAS ON CUTTING DOWN STOCK HB

BHJ Balancer

ARV90SC said:
hmm how does a underdrvie pulley set give you power? i don't really get it and i got a BHJ balancer, will it effect anything?
What the BHJ Balancer will affect, is not having a broken balancer when you're 100 mi. from home!!!!!

68COUGAR

ALUM. vs. STEEL

Grims95SC said:
The ballancer shouldn't do much as far as adding HP I think. It's just a better, nicer looking piece than the stock unit.
Ummmmm, NO! The reason for the STEEL balancer, is because the OEM alum. ones break very often.

68COUGAR

Back