need an M5r2 wiz

wantan17

well way back last year i bought my 89 sc and third gear began to crunch, i then had all the synchros replaced. one month later it began to crunch in third again, i talked to a mechanic friend and he said to make sure they had checked the spec of the taper on third gear, the tranny shop hadn't. i took it back, labor free, and they replaced my third gear synchro and put what they said and checked was a good used gear. four months later with barely any abuse the tranny is playing the same games. what a huge annoyance. this week i re-bleed the clutch(fine) and replaced the tranny fluid with mercon 5 and friction modifier. was the problem actually solved or is there something left that should have been done???. thanks

The transmissions are F'ed up.

I got one, I should know.

At any rate, I know it is costly, but if you're going to go through the expense of having the transmission dropped and opened up, I would pay to have them rebuild the whole damn thing.

All the gears, syncros, bearings, seals etc etc. When they get parts out of a "known good doner car", the tolerances still don't match up and things wear funny.

If you opened up your engine cause you blew a piston, would you replace that one piston with one from a "known good donor car"????

Back