Whining noise when driving

Randle

Just recently I've noticed a whining sound eminating from what seems to be my front wheels. It will squeel when turning or going straight, it also doesn't appear to be speed limited (although I have yet to take it on the highway). Is this a sign that something is going bad? I really dont have the time nor money to take it to a mechanic atm, so any help would be appreciated.

Jason Wild said:
I would think it might be a wheel bearing or something under the hood.

Is your car leaking fluid? If so, it could be the "s" shaped tube for power steering near the oil pan got bumped and is leaking. If so, a new one runs about $90.

Do you have bad belts?

Are your brakes worn out?

Is your alternator dying?

What mods have you done and what year is your car?

Thanks for the replies, the car is a new car I just recently purchased. It's a 92 with 88k miles on it. The only mods I know of are an exhaust system (I hate it, to damn loud), and a CAI. All of the belts appear to be in good condition, and the brakes are new. I'll have to check the alternator and the power steering.

Check the bypass valve to make sure it's not closed. The little vacuum hose that attached to the valve actuator fell off mine and it whined constantly and I thought the torque conveter went bad and replaced it only to find out afterward that the vacuum hose had fallen off the bypass valve.

Sometimes the bypass linkage can get stuck against the back of the supercharger...check it by moving the linkage back and forth with your fingers to insure it's not binding.

Being low on power steering fluid can also cause a whinning noise.

David

my sc had a whine to it also at one pt. always thought it was the super charger, but it was actually teh power steering fluid that needed to be filled.

Back