Clutch gone Berzerk

1QuikV6

I have noticed that my clutch pedal will vary in pressure and sometimes it will go almost completely to the floor before I get resistance. I then noticed that the reservoir for Clutch fluid (DOT3 Brake Fluid) was dry.

So I added it and it later worked alright. A few days later... dry again. ive done this for almost a week and I dont know where it all is going. I understand its a hydraulic assist clutch... im just not that familiar with them.

Any idea as to why it is drinking Brake Fluid and where it is supposed to go?

Last edited:
Mine isn't leaking that bad yet, but mine is leaking from he clutch cylinder on the firewall to the floorboard inside the car!! Noticed a few drops on my floormat, and crawled under the dash just hoping it wasn't bake fluid. Turns out it's clutch fluid. Looks like I might need to replace the cylinder soon. Also today, notice my heater core has decided to spring a leak for no apparent reason. Window fogs up and you can see steam coming from the defrost vents, and smell antifreeze.

So its the clutch cylinder leaking.. Wellas long as I know what it is so that it doesnt snap into a gear at a stoplight lol. its ok, my bonus is coming and its getting a new mach hood and a clutch, throwout, and cylinder. Along with gutted cats and open exhaust to help the smaller pulley.

I hear those heater cores are a real beast... Mine just wont blow thru the dash vents, only defrost and floor.

HEY BRANDON, Sorry to hear about the clutch problem, If you stop by Monday
I will help you take a look at it. Also, it probably would not be a bad ideal to replace the slave cylinder, bearing and clutch like I did ( and shifter!!!! ). Should have bought an AOD, just kidding!! You need to stop by and see the
Kooks headers and Griffin Radiator that I got. Also, I need to check a few things on your car to compare to my 95 to see if it is correct, mainly the
plug wires.................LATER, DOUG

VAdoug said:
HEY BRANDON, Sorry to hear about the clutch problem, If you stop by Monday
I will help you take a look at it. Also, it probably would not be a bad ideal to replace the slave cylinder, bearing and clutch like I did ( and shifter!!!! ). Should have bought an AOD, just kidding!! You need to stop by and see the
Kooks headers and Griffin Radiator that I got. Also, I need to check a few things on your car to compare to my 95 to see if it is correct, mainly the
plug wires.................LATER, DOUG

No problem, i can slide by around 1pm Monday and you can have a look at the wires, etc. I also have to replace the starter on it along with the clutch cylinder since its leaking but no problems in the last 3 days or so. AOD? bring that AOD and ill walk all over it lol j/k. M5R2's may not be all that reliable right now but how many SCs are? ;) Seems I break so much on this car and Ive been babying it a lot here lately... havent eclipsed 120 in almost a month... ha ha

Check all of the fittings and lines. Any clutch fluid leakage I have ever gotten has been from the slave cylinder. I haven't heard of any bad master cylinders, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

5-spd vs. AOD

VAdoug said:
HEY BRANDON, Sorry to hear about the clutch problem.... Should have bought an AOD
Then he'd have to worry about snapping off the inner input shaft!!!!!

68COUGAR

We'll see if my 5 speed makes it to your 250,000 mile mark Doug! lol, I have 100,000 to go ha ha.

Ive looked up under it and now its not leaking... Seems like it comes and wreaks havoc and dives away again.

Now my starter is turning the car over when it feels like it and not every time I want it to... Car Quest wants 107 for a new one... the LX starter... 54. :mad:

When my '93 5 speed (with 200,000m) did that, it turned out to be the seal on the internal slave cylinder. When it got colder (exactly this time of year)the seal would leak all the fluid. I'd top it up and it'll last a couple of days again. Eventually I pulled the trans, replaced the clutch, slave, pilot & release bearing + had the flywheel cut. I also replaced the master cylinder due to age and much easier to get at with the trans out. I hate doing those jobs and re-using something because it looked ok; then having to do it again. Interesting though the original clutch disc still had some meat on it after 200k & I replaced it with a stock '94 (larger diameter) LUK set from PepBoys. The only thing that is strange, being a self adjusting clutch is the fact that the pedal is now very high & irritating to operate in traffic.

My clutch has always been high and stiff but the cylinder is pissing me off. And now the starter is annoying too. Makes me wish it was an AOD some days. Then I run it through a few redline shifts and i love it again, even with a 2nd gear synchro going :D

1QuikV6 said:
My clutch has always been high and stiff but the cylinder is pissing me off. And now the starter is annoying too. Makes me wish it was an AOD some days. Then I run it through a few redline shifts and i love it again, even with a 2nd gear synchro going :D

Wish I could do redline shifts. For some reason with my car, anything over 3500RPM and it just seems like it stops making power. Doesn't help to rev it up any higher. The shifts feel better around 3K-3500.

A lot of people have said that to me but my car feels like it has power clear up to 5500. It feels even more so now that I opened up the exhaust and put a 5% on it. It definitely broadened the powerband. Next would be a set of head to help it breath.

Back