Where to get a 180 tstat???

Jeremy_K

I need to replace my tstat and i wanna go with a 180 degree. none of the parts stores around has a 180 listed for an SC. I know the mustang has the same size but what year and motor is it out of? Or if anyone knows a P/N at the local parts stores?Thanks

i'm thinkin since i have a pretty bad leak, tomorrow would be a great time to replace the tstat. i have a fel pro gasket already i just need to pick a tstat up at AZ or pep boys.

180 thermo

NMxr7SC said:
i'm thinkin since i have a pretty bad leak, tomorrow would be a great time to replace the tstat. i have a fel pro gasket already i just need to pick a tstat up at AZ or pep boys.
to answer your question:
Can you take yours up there and match them up? if not buy one for a mustang and it should work, i can't image it being a different size, worse case you'll have to find a ride back to autoparts to exchange it. no big deal..
Now for my two Cent$
I will however make recommendation to stay with factory temp range as many things are control by the engine's temp. I have been there and done it, it will run cooler if you hard wire the fan but your tempature will go from cool to warm depending on driving conditions and this palys havok on the tuning. i recommend fixing the factory cooling componets or installing a temp control fan switch (to match an aftermarket thermostat) to mantain a constaint engine temp. It may lead HG failure because the iron block and alunimum heads expand and contract at different temps. I had the most problems with tuning, cold run rich, hot runs leans and when it changes driving around town and highway, its hard to get a good grasp on the air/fuel mixture.

Do a search on this board for relevent terms and you may decided against the 180 thermo.

Last edited:
i just found one for SCs at Napa. P/N is THM 530080. $6.99 That is for the superstat. they also have a cheapo one for $4.99. Thanks guys :cool:

For future reference, it is the same as a 350 chevy. Ask for a 180 thermostat for a 1970's 350. Everyone stocks that.

XR7 Dave said:
For future reference, it is the same as a 350 chevy. Ask for a 180 thermostat for a 1970's 350. Everyone stocks that.

hahah dave, u the man, how did you come across that discovery? chevy 350 of all things.

XR7 Dave said:

Dave,

Isn't that the same one we used for my 347 ?

BTW, To make it easier to bleed the air out, I drilled a 1/8" breather hole in mine similar to the one in the stock SC thermostat.

David

Back