Major Brake Leak!!

sprchkn

Ok with fluid the system works but shows that it needs to be blead

first question, if the brake accumulator is failing or has failed would that cause a leak from the hose that leads from the resevoir to the ABS assembly.

second, what are signs that the accumulator is bad

third, concering the leak, it is coming from where the hose connects into the actual unit not the resevoir. would the whole unit need replacing

any sort of help would be appreciated. also i noted that replacing the entire unit is very expensive so if there is anyone who is selling the whole abs unit please email me with your selling price. thanks jehrenstrom@yahoo.com

The accumulator can have multiple symptoms when it starts to go. Hard brakes is a common one. I don't know as it would cause this leak. It could. You'd have to check for cracks. If it's cracked where the line is, than you'll have to replace the accumulator unit. That would also explain the air in your lines. Try tightening the line if you can't see any cracks. It might just be loose!

You'll have to bleed the entire brake system after this. Don't reuse brake fluid. Get some DOT4 or DOT5.5 fluid (not DOT5, it sucks and is incompatible with your existing fluid), Open the right rear bleeder, and pump the master cylinder until it's almost empty, fill it up with new fluid, bleed the brakes until you see clear fluid coming out each caliper (there should be a bubble before the clear fluid). Do the right rear, left rear, right front, left front in that order.

Hope there's no crack,

Ryan

Last edited:
sprchkn said:
third, concering the leak, it is coming from where the hose connects into the actual unit not the resevoir. would the whole unit need replacing

jehrenstrom@yahoo.com
Check to make sure the hose is not cracked. On one of my XR7's, the leak got so bad, that the fluid would almost run out as fast as I poured it in. I found some replacement hose at a local parts store (a real old-time store, not AZ). Anyway, the hose I bought is supposed to be compatable with brake fluid on the inside, but not as resistant on the outside. I'm trying it, but I am offering NO GUARANTEES as to it's long-term reliability. Here's the info on the hose from another board I posted:

the hose needed to replace the reservoir-to-pump hose on the early Teves IV ABS. GATES 5 RLA 5/16 INCH 1 BRAID MADE IN U.S.A. GL052902 Z3044

Hope this helps

thanks alot everyone

i have a secondary plan but Im gonna get into it tommorow and see if there is a crack where the hose mounts to the pump or if its just the hose. took it to a shop and they said the whole unit needed to be replaced. im not sure of this mainly because with fluid everything works fine. just ya no go the leak and all

thanks
Jim

Back