SC at mechanic, having starting problems, please help?

ERamos

I was having some starting problems, it would start sometimes but sometimes it would just keep cranking over until I tapped on the fuel pump area then it would fire. I changed the gas tank and put a 190 fuel pump in there myself a while back that why I figured I might have done somethin. I got sick of dealing with it so I took it to a mechanic down the street. He found somewhere, where the wires were pinched and fixed it and put the tank back up. Then after it starting a couple times it totally stops starting period, turns over but doesn't start. So they tell me they are getting no fuel pressure and need replace the fuel pump so they do. Now they are getting fuel but the car still just turns over. See the short fried my Gel battery so I was constantly trying to jump it, now have a different battery but still have this problem. They are telling me it could only be the computer, that everything else checks out. At first it seemed like they were jerkin me around making me buy stuff but I don't think they are lying considering they have to store my SC in there main garage over a starting problem for a week. What do you think, Computer????? could it be and how much should this cost me. Let me know if you have any input, Thanks.....

Does the upshift indicator (the arrow pointing up on the instrument panel) stay lit during cranking? If so, the crankshaft position sensor is bad. The sensor is located on the lower front side of the block behind the harmonic balancer. If memory serves me (and at my age it rarely does), crank sensor failure does not throw a code, but will definitely keep the engine from firing....

Does the upshift indicator (the arrow pointing up on the instrument panel) stay lit during cranking? If so, the crankshaft position sensor is bad. The sensor is located on the lower front side of the block behind the harmonic balancer. If memory serves me (and at my age it rarely does), crank sensor failure does not throw a code, but will definitely keep the engine from firing....

?

Thanks for your response, I am not sure if the indicator light is on, it is at the shop, I am going to call and talk to them. I just am curious why they think it was the computer. I will see what they say. Thanks

One other thing to check is the bolt holding the Harm. bal to the crank shaft. If the bolt broke off then the Harm. Bal my have been moving out awy from the crank sencor and that would cause the same problem. All you have to do is feel for the big bolt right in the middle of the Harm. Bal. with your fingers.

Kurt Sr

Crank Sensor is indicated whenever you see the up-shift or up-arrow light come on while you're trying to start the car. It indicates that the EEC is not receiving the signal. As I recall, it will throw a code, whereas the Cam sensor will not.
From experience, I know that the Ford dealer spent a lot of time and money tracking down my first Cam sensor failure years ago. They had no codes to help them.

FYI - The computer in a car is rarely the problem but for some reason mechanics love replacing them. Unless someone was welding on your car, it's unlike a computer will fail.

Mechanics seem to become befuddled by our SC's. They forget the basics. Spark/Fuel.

They should be checking for both. Sounds like they found fuel. But have they made sure there is spark? If the crank sensor is down, the engine computer can't figure out top dead center on the #1 cylinder and it's not going to fire the spark plugs or open the injectors.

If they are getting spark, and they are getting fuel, the only possible way for it to not start would be a timing problem or the injectors are not working.

They can verify the fuel issue by spraying starting fluid into the air box and see if the engine will fire. If it won't hicup on starting fluid then it's not a fuel problem..

basics..basics..basics. It's all about the basics.

Last edited:
I suggest not to take it to a mechanic unless he has worked on SCs and has some knowlege on these cars :eek: .....

Yo

If you loook this post is 2 years old.....I really got ripped on that deal with the mechanic but it was kinda stuck there, there was a short from a pinched wire with the fuel pump that was causing intermitent starts but the main problem I figured out myself was the alternator it would run the car but not recharge the battery..........never again will I use a mechanic I don't know

Back