abnormal tire wear

bustedbird

I had the front tires off the car when I was doing the spark plugs. Upon putting the tires back on the car I got my finger gashed open by the exposed steel belt of the tire. The tread on the tires is around 50%, but the inside if BOTH tires is wasted. Does anybody have answers for this problem?

Stock or lowered? When's the last time you had an alignment done?

Sounds like too much negative camber on a lowered car, if I had to guess without more info.

cheers,
Ed N.

Thanks will do, I've been consentrating my efforts on just keeping the car running. Put new plugs, wires, 180 degree thermostat, valve cover gaskets, and brake pads. Thanks Ed!

I'd say you have too much toe out. The toe really effects tire wear on these cars espcially with wider than stock tires. camber also effects the inside tire wear but not nearly that much (unless you tires physically look like this /---\ )

That's correct, a bit of toe-in is the way to go with the MN-12 cars. They seem pretty sensitive for alignment settings, especially when wider tires and wheels are installed.

If you happen to see the "aggressive alignment" specs over on TCCoA, please ignore them ... unless you want to be putting new tires on frequently.

cheers,
Ed N.

You might check the lower control arm bushings. Mine were worn out at about 100,000 miles allowing too much negative camber which wore the tires on the inside drastically. John

Back