Rear end swap? will this work?

turboken

I assume this would work, but It is better to ask first. My rear end is howling on my 93 SC. My parts car is an 89 5 speed. I know that it will have a different gear, so the speedo will be off. Other than that, is there any other difference? I suspect that I could just swap them out, but I haven't done much work on these MN12 platform cars, just fox T-birds. Thanks guys.

ken :confused:

Yes, you can swap the whole pumpkin. Helps to do this with 2 people. There is no other difference than the gearing. If you swap the speed sensor on the tranny, you'll not have a problem with the speedo. You should check your U-Joints and rear wheel bearings as this can sound like a howling diff also and the axles have to come out anyways.

it will work, but you will hate your car afterwards, the 5 speeds have a 2.73 in em and your car now should have a 3.27 in it, and if you swap that 5 speed into your auto it will be slower, i wouldnt recommend it, i got my dif for $80 out of a auto sc, and just swapped it, it will work, but u will lose power. id recommend find another auto pumpkin, or buy some gears

my .02

i thought the 5 speed had 3.55:1 gears?? Don't know why I think that, tho..... Maybe my brain is mixed up with the late modle TurboCoupes! :)

no they come with the 2.73 look on the tag on the diff it should say like 2 L 73 somethign something something if it doesnt have an L than its an open differential. i wish they came with the 3.55:1 i have the 3.27 swap and i might go to that in the future, but stock 5-speed gears are reaaaaaaaal long.

Back