Has anyone installed a 4.6L late model motor c/w 5 spd. trans. in a 1990 to 1993 T-Bird SC ?? I am going to and am looking to see if thereare any eng./trans. mount kits or wiring harnesses available for this swap. Any info greatly appreciated. Please e-mail blair@highwayfourrentals.com
Thanks
Blair
PS My other ride is a 1970 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ Drag Pack..21000 original documented miles.

Lots have. Check out tccoa.com. There's a few posts there that are relevent. Basically, you need the complete engine, wiring harness and computer from a doner car. The tranny can come from an F-150 or a supercoupe. The brake and clutch pedals and the clutch assy needs to come from an SC to be a bolt-in. You can use a T-45/56, but the shifter box needs to be extended rearward, or you'll be shifting under the climate controls.

Ryan

Unfortunately some of the above information is not correct. Installing a 4.6 in an SC is going to be a bit of a pain. The entire wiring harness from an SC is different compared to a 4.6. Even in 94 when both the 3.8 SC was offered as well as a LX 4.6 the two wiring harnesses are totally different. It's like they are two different cars.

Physically speaking the engine mounts and K member changed in 93 to accomodate the 4.6. You will have alignment problems if you try to put the 4.6 in an 89-92 SC. Using Tbird 4.6 mounts on a 93 or newer SC makes it physically a bolt in operation as far as the motor is concerned.

Keep also in mind that the bellhousing is different from a 4.6 to 5.0&3.8 so you will not be able to interchange the transmissions. If you intend to use a Mustang 5spd, then you will have to deal with a shifter that is too far forward in the console as well as possible issues with driveshaft length.

It's not as high tech to put a 5.0 stroker in the car but you will find that it is much easier and there is a lot more room left over in the engine bay. :D Either way if you want to exceed the performance capabilities of the V6, forced induction or a lot of nitrous will be necessary. ;)

Oh, and love the "other" car. I used to have one myself. :)

XR7 Dave said:
Unfortunately some of the above information is not correct. Installing a 4.6 in an SC is going to be a bit of a pain. The entire wiring harness from an SC is different compared to a 4.6. Even in 94 when both the 3.8 SC was offered as well as a LX 4.6 the two wiring harnesses are totally different. It's like they are two different cars.

Physically speaking the engine mounts and K member changed in 93 to accomodate the 4.6. You will have alignment problems if you try to put the 4.6 in an 89-92 SC. Using Tbird 4.6 mounts on a 93 or newer SC makes it physically a bolt in operation as far as the motor is concerned.

Keep also in mind that the bellhousing is different from a 4.6 to 5.0&3.8 so you will not be able to interchange the transmissions. If you intend to use a Mustang 5spd, then you will have to deal with a shifter that is too far forward in the console as well as possible issues with driveshaft length.

It's not as high tech to put a 5.0 stroker in the car but you will find that it is much easier and there is a lot more room left over in the engine bay. :D Either way if you want to exceed the performance capabilities of the V6, forced induction or a lot of nitrous will be necessary. ;)

Oh, and love the "other" car. I used to have one myself. :)

Dave is absolutely correct. It's been a long day. Thanks Dave.

I installed a 4.6L DOHC with a 4R70W in my 90 XR7. There are a few threads here and on tccoa.com about it.

-Rod

There is an extender that is available to make the shifter handle in the correct place for our carz. It is on the tccoa site as well.

Chris

Some great info., thanks for the replys. For starters I will look for a 93 or 94 for the swap. Still have to deal with the wiring harness issue. I will keep you posted. :)

Tell me again why you are going to use a 4.6 and not a five oh. You can get a new wire harness from summit for the 302 now. I have not seen one for a 4.6 other then an entire aftermarket sustem such as F.A.S.T.

Chris

Back