power lock/seat fuse

1fastsupercoupe

power locks stopped working...found out its the same fuse as the power seat...when i went to remove the fuse..it was soo hot to the touch i almost burned my fingers....let it cool off and tested it with a test light...the fuse appears to be good...what would cause the fuse to get soo darn hot...i dont wanna put it back in since it may cause a fire(with my luck)

any suggestions on to why this is happening...

its a 94 sc with power everything

thanks in advnace

The fuse should blow before it gets so hot. Are you using a fuse that's rated for a higher amperage? Compare the number on the fuse to your Driver's Manual.
It looks like your seat switch panel on the side of the seat is sagging and causing a frayed wire to short to the seat frame (ground).

its the proper 20amp metal fuse...i can see the seat thing being a possiblity considering the plastic that holds the controls in place has cracked and the front portion is loose(the switch that moves up,back etc).....

thanks alot..ill go look for a bare wire somewheres under the seat

edit:didnt see any bare wires etc..drove the car aoround the block and the fuse is ice cold and everything works normal now....

Last edited:
its a total metal fuse right? I have had the same problem, have you ever had the cover off one of the seats? what happens on mine, is that I haven't screwed the panel back in yet, sometimes the wires from one of the switch will ground out on the metal on the seat. all you ought to have to do is take out the fuse and put it back in and it will reset. I really ought to screw it back in. btw mine is a 95 so it ought to be the same

yea..metal fuse but i saw no signs of any bare wires sticking out....didnt drive the car today but ill be driving it weds and we'll see what happens

thanks alot

theres no bare wire on mine per se, however with the panel being off it pulls the wires from the connection a bit, however, as I said, just pulling the fuse and putting it back in will reset it.

Back