ABS Brake Problem

Mitch90BlackSC

Here's my annoying ABS problem:
When I step on the brakes, the car pulls sharply to one side; always the same side. I checked the usual suspects; calipers, pads, rotors, but nothing wrong. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Mitch,
Is the brake light on, on the dash??? You did not say.

If everything is working good,then may be you have a bad tie rod on that side of the car. You would notice it under braking. But then again you would notice it while just driving to, I would think. Just a thought .....

Kurt Sr

How did you check the operation of the calipers?
You should jack up both front wheels, then spin them by hand to 1st check for binding, then have someone gently press the brake pedal on/off while you spin the wheels. If the calipers are moving freely, the wheels will spin easily when the brake is not applied.
Just the eeensiest amount of brake should stop the wheels cold such that you can't spin them by hand.

2nd thing to do is to remove each wheel, compress the caliper some by gently pulling the disc back and forth, then check that you can slide the caliper both towards and away from the wheel well with relative ease.
From there, I'd try bleeding the front brakes.
I don't think its ABS related.

IMHO it doesn't sound like an ABS related problem, it sounds more like a problem with one of the calipers, or a "hard spot" on pad, or even a cracked pad. Here's an PDF file on ABS systems, I've found it helpful in the past. Click
HERE to download the file.
Good luck finding your problem...
-Jeff

Try this, put your brakes on and let it pull to that one side, then let off and apply them again...does it still pull or does it feel like it has corrected itself?

If it feels correted start checking out front end suspension parts, when mine did this it was the strut rod bushing that were all dried out and shot. I replaced both sides and the brake pull dissapeared. MOOG part number K8680

Back