PDA

View Full Version : Running rich... crap

Billabong089
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Ok here are my problems, I really feel like the car is running very rich, I can see the carbon around my tailpipes and little on my back bumper.

Symptoms:

Rough idle after startup ( like initial start is fine but then if I turn it off and start it back up its rough and eventually corrects )
Bucking when shifting through gears ( Not my driving :) )
Feels like it loses power as the RPMS increase
Worst of all : SLOW

New plugs, wires and fuel filter, only five days old.

What could it be?
Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

MIKE 38sc
11-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Check for the usual vac leaks Ed. I noticed that you have a performance chip, maybe thats an issue.

Billabong089
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
well the previous owner claimed he put one in, never checked, but that was like a year ago... I did take apart the induction system for the PS rack and pinion and all that crap but I'm sure I sealed it up good... I want those intercooler gaskets but no word from tbird88 , any other good ways to seal it up?

BobGPz
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
When you took off the induction system did you try and clean the IAC Valve? That is a No No. Did you use new OR re-use the gaskets on all the induction system? Start it up and try spraying some carb cleaner at the joints or use a unlit propane torch at the IC joints. How's the idle? Low or high? Vac guage reads what inch-lbs at idle?

Billabong089
11-23-2004, 02:43 PM
I just took off the intercooler and the lower and upper intercooler pipes... used RTV sealant and the vac at idle is 20-21. Didn't touch IAC.

tbird88
11-23-2004, 11:11 PM
well the previous owner claimed he put one in, never checked, but that was like a year ago... I did take apart the induction system for the PS rack and pinion and all that crap but I'm sure I sealed it up good... I want those intercooler gaskets but no word from tbird88 , any other good ways to seal it up?I looked for your email, didn't get it as far as I can see.

Have you run codes? Check the PCV line from the passenger valve cover and make sure the plastic elbow isn't cracked. Then follow the line around the back of the inlet plenum and make sure the vacuum hose on the other end is still connected to the metal elbow on the back of the plenum (next to the EGR valve).

'bird

Billabong089
11-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Well another thing, say I drive like five minutes turn the car off, I have to crank it two or three times - seems like the engine gets flooded and it wont start.

MIKE 38sc
11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Well if its running rich it will do that.

Jake
11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
I had a cracked injector once and it gave me those symptoms.

SonySC
11-26-2004, 02:31 AM
When you changed the plug wires what reference did you use to sequence them in putting them back? Haynes manual has an error. If I remember right the coil pac in a right hand circle goes: 1,2,3,4,6,5.

BobGPz
11-26-2004, 12:18 PM
When you changed the plug wires what reference did you use to sequence them in putting them back? Haynes manual has an error. If I remember right the coil pac in a right hand circle goes: 1,2,3,4,6,5.

I put mine on with #1 & #3 backwards once, and it idled liked junk, and would backfire and run WAY worse when you gave it gas. A huge step up from running rich. Not sure if having #5 & #6 backwards will make it do the same.
...maybe leaking injector, or cam sensor starting to go????

Billabong089
11-26-2004, 06:33 PM
im positive plugs are good.

thebigslide
11-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Well another thing, say I drive like five minutes turn the car off, I have to crank it two or three times - seems like the engine gets flooded and it wont start.

Check the fuel pressure regulator to see if the diaphragm is blown, possibly. This will let fuel in through the vaccuum hose. You can just disconnect the vaccuum hose and fire up the car. No fuel should come out.

Also maybe check for a stuck injector. You can hear them open and close if you use a stethascope with a pointy extention, or you can pop the rail off the lower manifold and check for a dribble with the key in 'run'. Don't try to start it.

If a leaky injector is dribbling fuel after the car is stopped, this might explain your no-start. Try restarting with the pedal to the floor. This should make the ECU turn off all fuel. If it starts easily like that than it's an ECU/chip problem.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Billabong089
11-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I cant seem to find the fuel regulator.

BobGPz
11-28-2004, 12:09 PM
How is your DIS Module and the heat sink?? Had something where the engine ran on half a bank of cylinders and was a bad DIS once it got heated up, eventually to where it was bad all the time. Ran rich, ran on 3-4 cylinders, and shook like a big block with a cam.

Here's a pic of where the FPR is located. Taking off the cowling will definately help...

edit..maybe I should say where this was taken from.. the drivers side fender looking at the SC/Plenum with the hood and cowling off. Don't forget to hook up the orange (injectors ground) wire when you reinstall it.