PDA

View Full Version : timing the cam ~~~ housing in block? (PIC) please help

bigcletus94
06-26-2002, 05:20 PM
Does this look right??

http://home.attbi.com/~schnorf/cam.jpg

I am finishing up putting my motor together and I am uncertain about the orientation of this cam sensor housing. I have the Helm book and they say you must use a tool but I have heard from others that the tool is optional? Any help is appreciated!

SCrazy
06-26-2002, 05:40 PM
Your missing a belt and the black piece on top is missing :D

gldiii
06-26-2002, 05:46 PM
Fred has a nice write up on this procedure on another board:

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topi cID=114.topic

V6Sprout
06-26-2002, 11:19 PM
excellant articel by Fred, I still gotta adjust mine a bit :)

bigcletus94
06-27-2002, 12:00 AM
gldiii, thanks for the link to that article.

V6Sprout, how do you know you need to adjust yours?

V6Sprout
06-27-2002, 12:45 AM
cause my car is still not running smoothy enough, I have my cam sensor loose cause I wans't sure if it waslined up or not, it was really close so I am starting the car and seeing how she runs, then shuting it off and turning is slightly to see if it runs better. If I turn it too much it won't even start so I think I cna get it close enough, thats the best I can do really. I have a very diffreent setup so I think tuning will fix any idling problems, so I just gotta get it close now I guess so it will at lesat run.

I moved it recently so I gotta move it back tomorrow and see how it runs.

pastera
06-27-2002, 09:23 AM
I wish my engine was that clean

Aaron

fred 4 pt 3
06-27-2002, 12:37 PM
The PCM will freak out if you get more than 5 off with this adjustment. Within that frame, it is advantageous to advance just a few degrees to fire the injector a bit earlier, if you have a hot engine, say 400 crank hp and up, or your injectors are a little taxed. Beyond that, you wind up in "limp mode" and lose the true SC experience.

This "probably" doesn't apply to transplants such as Brian and Jamie running on CCAQ calibration. BTW, guys, I am looking into your calibrations - you're costing me way too much sleep !

Two things you never mess with during a tune up - the MAF curve (I know, everybody does it over at the yahoo forum. That doesn't make it right !) and the CAM position sensor.

The only way to tweak the MAF curve is to disable the corrective adjustment, and put the thing on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor. Idle and throttle response characteristics should NEVER be done from the maf curve. That's why we have tables.

[/soapbox off]

V6Sprout
06-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Fred, I forget , did I send you my new tuner file that BKB made me he put the 36# injector MAF from a 94SC into my file, thats the MAF I have, and the car started right up after that, not sure what else he did really but that is the main thing he changed, he changed a lot of stuff though I know that.

V6Sprout
06-27-2002, 03:43 PM
I must agree though, that is one damn clean engine, the bolts are even nice looking, very nice job!

Slysc
06-27-2002, 07:30 PM
I just put my engine back together and fired it up last night.
It runs awful! It stumbles on tip in or at low Rs and has little power. When it's hot it will barely start at all.
It acts like a timing problem. I set my cam sensor at the mark on the dampner that represents 26ATDC. Is is supposed to be set like that or should I have set it at TDC?
I wonder if I'm a tooth off on my timing chain?!! :confused:

I've spent every waking moment since April obsessing about this motor and even dreamed about it at night wanting to make it the fastest thing on wheels and now it barely runs at all.:( Help!

Gaston
06-29-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by fred 4 pt 3
Two things you never mess with during a tune up - the MAF curve (I know, everybody does it over at the yahoo forum. That doesn't make it right !) and the CAM position sensor.

The only way to tweak the MAF curve is to disable the corrective adjustment, and put the thing on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor. Idle and throttle response characteristics should NEVER be done from the maf curve. That's why we have tables.

I disagree kinda. Yes you need a wideband but say you want
an A/F of 12.5:1 but since the MAF curve is off, the wideband
shows 14.5:1. At that point you should adjust the MAF and NOT
set the A/F to ~10.5:1 to get your car to run your desired A/F
of 12.5:1! Tricking the EEC like that always comes back to bite
you in the butt.

Gaston

Brianas
06-29-2002, 01:10 PM
off topic
but while your trying to find out the cam sensor info
for the love of god--paint those tensioner arms and put