CO2 cooler

acb92sc

I know compressed CO2 is cold upon release, and i know they make N20 sprayers to cool the intercooler (not injection), and i know that CO2 is alot cheaper than N20, so heres my Q-
If i have a CO2 tank, the proper fittings/ adapters, a nitrous solenoid to spray, and run it into a piece of steel fuel line (3/8") with holes drilled into it to spray it along the length of the intercooler, will this be effective before i spend time fabricating? Most of the syuff i need i have, so its not like a lot of $$ is needed on my part. Just wondering if theres anything anyone can suggest before i get started. Thanx in advance- Adam B

A better IC system would be a far better use of your money than a sprayer.
You end up with a lighter system(no heavy bottles to haul) and you will get much longer term benefits.
Sprayers are really a bandaid fix at best.

I know a guy where I live that made a system simliar except he use stainless brake line and flared them. used some russle fittings, a nitrous bottle, line and solonoid. he has a fairly decent sized intercooler and he said he picked up 20 somthing awhp.

1990_XR7SC said:
I know a guy where I live that made a system simliar except he use stainless brake line and flared them. used some russle fittings, a nitrous bottle, line and solonoid. he has a fairly decent sized intercooler and he said he picked up 20 somthing awhp.

Well he SAYS he picked up 20 HP. Ask him "for how long of a period do you maintain that 20 extra HP?" Then ask yourself "is that really usefull to me?" and "is that worth all the money,time and labor I'll put into making this work?"
My point is that type of system is only usefull on the dragstrip and has no real use on a street car. ;)

But then again that might be right up Adams alley because he did'nt say what type use he intended for it. :)

I've seen a couple cars with the Co2 and nitrous sprayers installed. Both have been removed because the performance gains were minimal and the bottle doesn't last very long with all those holes in the spay bar. I doubt it would be able to keep spraying for an entire 1/4 mile without emptying a 10# bottle.

Then there are the funny looks the track people give you because it looks like your motor is on fire when it's spraying.

I agree with Mike, get a bigger Intercooler and you will be much happier. BTW, nitrous is much more effective when sprayed into the engine.

David

Adam,For somtime now I thinking of building a inline IC tubes
for gas or water cooling.By building double walled IC tubes.
To go with my MP FMIC system.

I been looking to do it this way instead of shooting the front
of my MP FMIC with c02.This way I would not need to worry
about the freezing cycles hurting or cracking the welds in my
FMIC.I beleive double walled IC tubes would handle the
freezing cycleing better.And the tubes would be easier to
maintain or replace if fractures occur.The co2 would work just
fine for drag racing.

You could thumb rule your horse power gain.By just judgeing
how your SC acts from driving in the hot summer heat .To
driving in the winter when the air is freezing.You could gain
15 to 20 maybe more from freezing your intake air.

Now keep in mind that from just driving from summer temps
to winter freezing temps.Yor SC feels like it gained 15 to 20
rwhp.So there is an advantage in cooled air.But your cooler
air in the winter time must go through the blower and get
heated up past freezing.So if you have this much hp gain
from, winter air thats heat back up going through the blower.
How much could be gained by freezing the air in the IC tubes
going into the intake manifold after the blower.Commin sence
tells me that with frozen air in the return ic tubes.You should
be able to get a greater hp gain than just 15 to 20.

I know the nay-sayers will say it only an extra 5 to 10 or more
horse power gain.But when you slap on 4 to 5 off the wall parts
(that nay-sayers call)You have a extra 60 to 80 horse power.
Those little worthless ideas and parts can add up to records set.

Randy

Last edited:
Thanx for the input, and the encouragement Randy. Not only is it an effort for HP improvement, but also a winter project to keep me busy those nights i'm missing my SC. Since i cant afford a larger/ better intercooler right now, i'm content w/ any improvement that i may get at the track. I was thinking the route of methanol injection, but dont like the idea of water in my engine. And like i said, the CO2 wont cost me much as i have most of the parts available. And besides, a polished co2 tank will look sweet where my battery used to be.

And besides, a polished co2 tank will look sweet where my battery used to be.

Do not put the co2 bottle in the engine compartment (dangerous). Put it in the trunk and use a nitrous solenoid as close to the spray bar as possible to avoid clogging.

David

Just to add, the spray bar should be in front of the IC, at the top, pointing down to be most effective. If you were to dent the tube in where the holes are to go and then drill a small hole (like 1/64) in the middle, the gas would fog and expand quicker to get the most temperature drop right at the intercooler, instead of in the engine bay after the intercooler. If you start with small holes, or have an adjustable pressure regulator inline, I'm sure you could get the bottle to last however long you want.

Back