Tool ?: Are dial bore gauges the same thing as telescoping gauge?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im trying to buy some measuring tools just to make sure all the clearances are good when rebuilding my lower end. I have come to learn about the dial indicator gauge & magnetic base, but i read an article taht to fully check your maind and rod clearances you need a dial bore gauge. Im wondering if i this is a completely different tool or if I can use the dial indicator and a telescoping gauge. Any help is appreciated...feel free to school me on these tools. I didnt even know they existed and since i need them i'd like to learn all I can about them.

I'm not a 100% sure since i have never used them but from my tool and die back ground a dial bore gauge will show little diffence in the size better since it will show up to .0005 of an inch on most of them. now the telescoping gauge dont look like the thing you looking for since they dont look like they go down to even .001 of an inch. this was from looking on ebay at them and I still not a 100% sure maybe you can post pics of what your looking at.

CaifanSC said:
Im trying to buy some measuring tools just to make sure all the clearances are good when rebuilding my lower end. I have come to learn about the dial indicator gauge & magnetic base, but i read an article taht to fully check your maind and rod clearances you need a dial bore gauge. Im wondering if i this is a completely different tool or if I can use the dial indicator and a telescoping gauge. Any help is appreciated...feel free to school me on these tools. I didnt even know they existed and since i need them i'd like to learn all I can about them.

Dial bore guages and telescoping guages are not the same thing, but they perform the same job. You can get a set of telescoping guages that can measure holes from approx 5/8" to around 7" and are fairly inexpensive. You take the measurement with the telescoping guage then measure the guage with a micrometer. So you do need a set of mikes also to use these. On the other hand a dial bore guage takes a measurement and reads it out on it's own dial guage so you don't need a mike too. It is a much more expensive tool but probably more accurate because there is no error in reading the measurement with a micrometer. A magnetic base dial indicator will not perform the function of measuring holes. I hope this helps, John

Last edited:
Back