no turn signals

specops_SC

checked the fuse, checked the wiring, swapped out the turn signal thingy with another used one and still no turn signals. i'm at a loss here. they'll sometimes work, then just turn off for no reason. sometimes it helps to bang on the steering wheel a few times but not often. does anyone know of anything else i can check? i dont want to get a new turn signal unit and frankly, im scared of finding out how much it is. oh, and sometimes before it goes out it makes a little buzzing sound from somewhere in the steering column area. thanks. hazards work fine btw.

The Electronic Flasher under the dash causes this problem (turn signals don't work but hazards do).

would this cause intermittent operation? they come on and off as if they had a mind of their own. lol. hopefuly this is it. thanks.

It could be the hazzard flasher relay.
I bought one from FORD for $60 and it turned out to be the multi function switch instead. If youd like, I'll part with the brand new relay for $20.
Hope this helps.
Tom

specops_SC said:
would this cause intermittent operation? they come on and off as if they had a mind of their own. lol. hopefuly this is it. thanks.
Yes, the problem could be intermittent. I've experienced it.

if its the black square box i have one send me a address and ill send it to you i may have the signal switch too ill check tommorrow

one other thing. if i let the car sit for a while, they'll work for a little bit, then go off. hey manny, got any pics of the part in question? im hoping it isnt what i think it is because its going to be a royal pita to get out from what i can see. i have no idea what im supposed to be looking for. lol..

To locate the module, turn the hazard flashers on and find the source of the clicking sound. The unit clips onto a metal bracket. For first-timers, it may be easier to remove the lower dash piece that's below the steering column. When removing the rectangular plastic dash piece, first remove the screws along the bottom and on the left side, then pull the piece straight out (parallel to its installed position). If you lever it out, the plastic tabs along the top will break off. Next remove the rectangular metal plate and you will see the flasher.

I am having the intermittent flasher problem where the hazards still work. Also, the fluid monitor (I do not know the official name) above the radio goes out with the flashers. Is it the flasher box? I could feel it feel off the bracket, maybe I kicked it.
Thanks,
Rob

flasher wasn't flashing

checked the fuse, checked the wiring, swapped out the turn signal thingy with another used one and still no turn signals. i'm at a loss here. they'll sometimes work, then just turn off for no reason. sometimes it helps to bang on the steering wheel a few times but not often. does anyone know of anything else i can check? i dont want to get a new turn signal unit and frankly, im scared of finding out how much it is. oh, and sometimes before it goes out it makes a little buzzing sound from somewhere in the steering column area. thanks. hazards work fine btw.

I was having similar problems. Sometimes I would turn on the turn signals and would get a solid light, they wouldn't blink. If I checked the four-ways, they would be solid too, they wouldn't blink. It was an annoying intermittent problem.

Changed both of them today. Did the multi-switch first, and found that the flasher would still sometimes hang up. Changed the flasher and somehow managed to blow a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Changed the fuse and I was in business - the new flasher solved the blinker problem.

The multifunction switch was $146.32 (list $250.11) and the flasher was $30.77 (list $52.60) from Max at Five Star Ford in Scottsdale, AZ.

Has anyone here tried the Blinker Fluid from www.kalecoauto.com? (lol)

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Hey Dude...
Tell your boss to get you sent back to Campbell, and I will help you. Haven't heard from you in a long time. Stay out of trouble....

Back