codes

Ronald Wendt

I just ran a test for the first time using the paper clip. the check engine light has been on before I bought the car, it seems to run fine so I never bothered with it but wanted to know why it was on

On the KOEO test I got 113 codes, 4 in a row. So this says the Air Charge Temp cicuit is above max voltage. What exactly does this mean and what is the cause?

Then I ran the ER test. Immediately it showed 998 codes several times. It did not flash 3 times for half the cyclinders or anything at first, just started right in with 998. also got one 113 code too.

So 998 is a Hard fault present FMEM code. What is this? and what do I do about it?

Thanks

Ron

Your 113 memory code simply records that at some recent time your intake air sensor recorded an open circuit or was outside the given temperature range - could be a loose wire or possibly a bad sensor. However, I don't think you can effectively do an ER test with just a jumper wire, because you are required to perform certain actions like hit the brakes, turn the steering wheel, etc during the test. I'm guessing you got the 998 hard code because you didn't perform those actions. If your engine light is on all the time, then I'd get help with the diagnostics or invest in a good code reader/scanner that will help you run a proper KOER.

Like I said it went directly into showing the 998 code before I could even do the turn the wheel and step on the brakes steps. It never showed the 3 flashes to indicate it is a 6 cylinder motor even, just right into the 998 code. I tried several times and the same thing happened

Ron

Sorry Ron - you'll have to pursue some more help on this one. Usually it will show code "111" if the EEC passes the test and no codes are present or "511" (I believe it is) if the EEC failed the test and is bad. 511 can also occur if you've plugged in an aftermarket chip. However, I've never come across an immediate hardcode like yours.

Back