Ocasional batery light

gunman_sr5

Nothing apears to be wrong under hood. The battery and Alternator are still produceing the proper numbers. I need an idea as to what else could cause this. The light will just come on from time to time and stay on for about 10 to 15 min and then go out. It seems to always happen when my wife is driveing to. :eek:

If the light comes on while the motor is running that means that the charging system is not working. With that said, check the voltage with the light on.

Do you have underdrive pulleys? I know on my car if I let the RPMs drop to low(5spd) the battery light comes on until the RPMs go back up. But it only lasts for a fraction of a second not 10-15 mins. Try looking at the connections to the alternator and the battery. Maybe something is loose or ceroded(sp).

Good luck!

Shane

Our alternator also has a circuit that handles the BAT light signaling. I.E. I had a bad alt that fried windings in the stator as well as the regulator. I never got the BAT light. That circuit was fried as well.

When that happens, pay attention to the fan for the heat/ac. Put it on high and see if lights dim or the fan speed seems off. Compare it to when the light is back on.

You could have an issue with the alternator beginning to fail. You could have an issue with the battery failing. Or a problem with some of the connections, in particular a ground. Then again just a questionable cable.

The key is pretty much to track down the alternator output at the time the batt light is on.

Your alternator is on its way out. The batt light will come on more often until it just stays lit and your battery dies from running all the electrical components. Start tracking a new one down. Here's a warning: If you buy a rebuilt alt from Azone (like I did for example), be prepared to trade out 2 or 3 before you get a good one. This of course will only happen after you have installed it and run it for a few weeks. If you wish to avoid that grief, and the possiblity of being stranded on the roadside, get a new one from somewhere, or get a working used one someone selling parts here.
When you do get a replacement, be sure to fully trickle charge the battery before using the alt and you might be OK. If you don't own a trickle charger, buy one. Really.. no kiddin. :cool:

Back