Clutch pedal dies, leading to crash

1QuikV6

This afternoon I was pulling into the driveway when the clutch went to the floor and my car lurched and promptly hit our tractor and lawn mower before i had a chance to kill it. I totally fubarred my driver front fender to the point that I had to wedge it to get the door back open. Fortunately I didnt break a headlight or anything in the process. The front corner of the tractor started ripping sheet metal about an inch after the corner lense and went clear down the fender. Now there's John Deere Green paint and a huge gash that the Titanic would be proud of in my fender.

It also hit the riding mower head on which was hit so hard that it knocked the oil plug loose. The mower needs a new front end completely even tho it just dented my license plate. The tractor is barely missing paint (7000lb farming tractor) but it managed to do a quite a bit of damage.

My question is.... WHAT on earth caused it? the pedal had been acting weird occassionally beforehand but it completely went this time. It usually just has some play and then stiffens up with less play.

Sounds like there's a hydraulic problem. Either air in the line, a leak, or more likely if there's no evidence (spilled fluid), a master cylinder in need of a rebuild (cracked o-ring or something). Check the whole system for leaks, check the fluid level, then I'd rebuild the slave and master cylinder (if one or the other went, the other's likely to go soon, too).

Possibly just the linkage on the clutch pushrod may have disconnected from the pedal, causing your clutch to fully engage and send you flying. I'd get on your back under the dash and see if you can feel a loose pushrod for the clutch, it's held onto the pedal with a plastic bushing clip thing that probably deteriorated over time. I believe that the "Help" line of products carries an assortment of these bushings if that's the problem.
That is horrible what it did to your SC I hope you can get her fixed up

master cylinder? Thats brakes. What does it have to do with the clutch besides both of them using DOT3 fluid?

*sigh* this car must have been assembled by GM, its the only logical explanation for all of this.

1QuikV6 said:
master cylinder? Thats brakes. What does it have to do with the clutch besides both of them using DOT3 fluid?

*sigh* this car must have been assembled by GM, its the only logical explanation for all of this.

The hydraulic cylinder connected to the clutch pedal is also referred to as a clutch master cylinder.

I have the same problem on my car. Fortunately I was on freeway when mine failed when I shifted down to fourth going onto a off ramp it failed. I was able to put it back on and make it home when it happend a week ago Thursday. Its the clip breaking and the Clutch master cylinder pushrod falling off the pedal assembly. I tried a new clip and it just broke again after a couple pushes of the pedal. I took a picture of the pushrod to check it out. The pushrod is worn where the original bushing wore through and it rubbed metal on metal until the pushrod eye wore enough to totaly break the plastic retaining clip. Then the pushrod fall's off.

Attachments

• Clutch Pushrod.jpg
    Clutch Pushrod.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
ive had this happen to me on my 89 and 93 its a little black plastic clip that hold the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod. the only way for me to get one was to buy a new clutch master cylinder and it comes with the little black clip. I just took the clip out and took the clutch master clyinder back and told them i didnt need it anymore. I know I know it was wrong but I didnt feel like paying 80 dollars for a little plastic clip. But it did fix my problem

NICK

Callmewhitexr7 said:
ive had this happen to me on my 89 and 93 its a little black plastic clip that hold the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod. the only way for me to get one was to buy a new clutch master cylinder and it comes with the little black clip. I just took the clip out and took the clutch master clyinder back and told them i didnt need it anymore. I know I know it was wrong but I didnt feel like paying 80 dollars for a little plastic clip. But it did fix my problem

NICK

The clip is available from Ford for 8 bucks.
E7SZ 7A581-A

To get the Clutch Master Cylinder pushrod I think you need to buy the MC assembly though. Thats what I need to do.

Told ya' so!

told ya all it was the stupid little clip, I think it is available through the Motormite product line in the "Help" section of most auto parts stores, they sell it as an assortment of like 5 diffrent pedal linkage clips and it's like $2.99 I know mine is toast and need to do the same thing before I am hurdled twards something without desire! :rolleyes: Sure sucks how something susch as a little piece of plastic can screw up your day! :mad:

I wonder if that could be opened up a bit and a bronse bushing installed to re-fresh the opening?

My guess is it could, but in general once it's worn that far, it would be a good idea to replace that master cylinder.

I know that when I replace my clutch (2nd time for this car, now at 200k miles) I'll be replacing the master cylinder and slave cylinder. May even replace the hydraulic line. I haven't checked it condition yet.

So that would explain why it gradually went, sometimes would act fine, and finally went completely? my gut says its hydraulic.. and thats always expensive.. especially when it could be the clutch cylinder...

How hard is it to change? Does the tranny have to come out or separate?

Back