ABS Pump Motor

Aminor_Accident

ARGH !!!!!!!!! looks like ill be yanking the pump motor out on the abs its dead but im on the bright side im getting so much better doing this LOL

Oh No.. :(
Sorry man! It is a pain in the rear with this system. After three times you will be a pro.. ;)

well after some probing maybe not the motor seems i dont have 10 are 12 volts at the motor connector it says to ground the pressure switch pin 4 is this correct? on testing the relay are pressure switch does autozone have the pressure switch just incase?

ok grounded pin 4 on the pressure switch motor runs should i just replace the pessure switch and what the hell size is it? is there anyway getting it off without taking the whole unit off too? im thinking go ahead and replace both switch and relay just to make sure

Aminor_Accident said:
ok grounded pin 4 on the pressure switch motor runs should i just replace the pessure switch and what the hell size is it? is there anyway getting it off without taking the whole unit off too? im thinking go ahead and replace both switch and relay just to make sure
Man, you're sure having your share of fun.. There isn't a way I know of to take the pressure switch out w/o taking the whole ABS assembly off.. Everything was working, correct?

Anyways, before you pull the things off again, hook everything up as normal, turn the key on and if nothing happens, leave the key on and take something like the handle of a screwdriver and whack the relay housing a couple of times to see if its sticking. Likewise with the ABS unit itself. It could be the pressure switch, but more often its the relay that causes the problems. I'd even consider replacing it before doing any other work. If you think its the pressure switch, you could use the one from your old ABS unit or order a new one. They are a bit pricey, but still not too bad.
Good luck. :)

''''''''This is from an older post of mine'''''''''
"GM Part #25530882 (Pressure Switch)
Paid $75.00 from http://www.buy-gm-parts.com/
Shipping will run $12 - $25 depending on how fast you want it.
Price is now $83.00 and part number not found. Basically click on "OEM Catalog" choose "1988 Buick Reatta" and then in the Brakes" section choose "Anti Lock" then "Pressure Switch". OR just email them the part number direct. They shipped it out in two days to me, just UPS took forever.
Email Keith: parts@crowncadillacolds.com or call Keith at 1-888-337-1094 ext-1127"

this is great info but im lacking one other thing what the hell to use to remove it??? i tired all my big sockets and they seem to be to thick to fit in there without damage the part are other stuff i have a another pressure switch off the car i was gonna try and use but cant get it off in the first place and to respond to the earlier thread i drove the car like 3 days after i said it was fixed everything seemed fine only put about 20 miles at the most on it in those days i went to take it to work for a 60 mile ride and didnt get 2 blocks away from home and the pump quit abs light and brake light came on in an instant so i just drove back to the house and parked it i did notice the night before i was crusing around and the brake light came on only for a slight moment then went off i thought maybe the fluid level was a tad low so i checked it it was full

ok tbird i reread what you typed and ill replace the relay first there is 2 of them on the passager side do both of those go to the abs? i was tuggin on them today to see if the would unclip and pull up out of there so i could change it are test it

I just pulled mine out with a pair of needle nose vise grips after the whole assembly was out. Or you can buy a special thin-walled socket but very expensive.
Here is the pressure switch...it looks like a big fat spark plug and it tells the ABS Pump when to shut off or turn on depending on the pressure of the accumulator...generally they leak like a siv }spelling :eek:
In the second pic you see it lying across the top of the abs pump with an electrical connector attached..

Attachments

• Picture 56.jpg
    Picture 56.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Picture 69.jpg
    Picture 69.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 92
Aminor_Accident said:
ok tbird i reread what you typed and ill replace the relay first there is 2 of them on the passager side do both of those go to the abs? i was tuggin on them today to see if the would unclip and pull up out of there so i could change it are test it
Both relays go to the ABS; however, the brown top relay is the one which drives the pump motor... the other relay is the ABS computer which has (believe it or not) nothing to do with the normal operation of the brakes. Do a forum search for the replacement part number. Search for "ABS relay GP sorenson" as the part number has been posted a bunch.

Back