I need some help....

schwalbe

i got a 93 Thunderbird LX. I know this is for SC's, but this is the only place that i trust people on this matter. anyways, the fan seems like its always on high, and that causes the auto temp in the car to mess up. Like i set it at 90 and its blowing cold. And another problem i have is that when my girlfriend {soon to be wife i hope} drives "her" car, it wants to die. She said it died one day and wouldn't start, so they pushed it off the road. Then on my lunch break i went and the car started up right away. So i am trying to find out why i have these problems. Then we have my 90 F-150. but thats another problem for another time. Thank you for your time

On the 93 LX I would say it's the Blower Motor Speed Controller just below the blower motor. Try to get the controller that has a solid heat sink and not the one with the honeycomb heat sink. I think it came out in 1994.
On your soon-to-be wife's car, give us some more information. What model are we talking about, does it sputter and die or not, how often does it happen, etc.

Maybe you ran low on coolant and it has an air bubble in there. Usually blowing cold air from heater is generally caused by air pocket in the cooling system, but the newer "Auto Systems" not sure..

I forgot to ask whether you can manually change the blower speed.
Another thing to check is the temperature sensor to the left of the radio.
After reading BobGPz's post, I realized that you have the newer system, which I'm not familiar with.

Thank you

She said when the car dies it does it when you come to a stop. and then you step on the gas, it seems like when you flood out a carb. About the fan, i was told it was the fan clutch. So i'm not sure, about the car dying someone told me to try and put a new fuel filter in it. You know its right before x-mis so money is a little tight for now. so i dont want to spend money on something that doesn't need to be fixed. i'm trying to think what else happens with "her" car when it dies, but i can't think of anything. Thank you for your time and help.

J.D. said:
I forgot to ask whether you can manually change the blower speed.
Another thing to check is the temperature sensor to the left of the radio.
After reading BobGPz's post, I realized that you have the newer system, which I'm not familiar with.

The temp likes to move, oh yeah it likes to over heat when you just sit at ideal. So i thought it might be the water pump, but that was new last summer. The temp likes to right cold until about 2300 rpm. Then the car runs at normal.

Describe your problem more clearly. Right now there is confusion over what "blower" you're talking about. The one for the heat/ac that blows air through the ducts. Or the fan that is used to pull air through your radiator.

If the blower fan (for heat/ac) is stuck on high such that can only be on high or off (no inbetween) then that is usually a sign that the resistor pack, or the speed controller for the fan motor that has died.

The engine killing would need more information about how it behaves when dead. Key things to check for are Fuel and spark. Do you have fuel, do you have spark.

Wouldn't someone at the TCCoA be better able to help? Otherwise many of us can only guess.

Maybe your soon to be wife's car is cersed? Just kinding!

More info on what it type of car and motor it has that she drives would be much apreciated.

Shane

My thunderbird is a 1993 LX with a 302 H.O. Its the fan for the radiator {sp, i'm a bad speller}. It just keeps messing up the temps, it goes from over heating to blowing ice cold air out of the heater when its set at 90. Yes i know that they could most likely help me out more, but i feel as if i can trust you guys more. I know i have to have spark and fuel cause it only does it when its cold out side and when the car just started and you take it out on the road, but on the free-way, when you're doing 80-100mph it runs great. I'm just trying to find out if this maybe caused by the shift kit or what in my aod. i can't really think of anything else, cause she only has problems with it when she drives it. When i drive it doesn't die. So i am not sure. Thank you for your time and help.

Depends on who you ask, the title is in my name. It's my car, but if you ask her it's "her" car. Females.... She can have the LX, i really want a SC.

So if her car is the LX then I may be of some help. My old 88 slowstang GT had a simmilar problem. I replaced the IAC valve, TPS, fuel filter and that seemed to fix the problem. My car had a hunting idle that never got fixed because it got totalled weeks later. It may have been a MAP sensor or a computer that was wrong on that car but I will never know.

I would recomend since you are strapped for cash to buy some TB cleaner and go to town on the TB making sure that you clean all of the sensors. Hope this helps.

Shane

schwalbe said:
Its the fan for the radiator {sp, i'm a bad speller}. It just keeps messing up the temps, it goes from over heating to blowing ice cold air out of the heater when its set at 90. Yes i know that they could most likely help me out more, but i feel as if i can trust you guys more.

Regarding your temp issues. The radiator fan can have very little impact on the temp coming from the vents. Especially if you see "ice cold" coming from them. Temp from the vents from hot to cold is more impacted by issues within the climate control system. Your heater core could be plugged, or the blend door and/or actuator may have failed. The Heat/AC system in the MN12's are a blend air system. Air is pulled into the heat/ac box from outside and either passed around, or through the heater core based on the position of a vacuum controlled door. If that door is not functioning properly, it can block air from entering the heater core leaving you with only ambient air, or worse, air cooled by the A/C evaporator.

schwalbe said:
i got a 93 Thunderbird LX. I know this is for SC's, but this is the only place that i trust people on this matter. anyways, the fan seems like its always on high, and that causes the auto temp in the car to mess up. Like i set it at 90 and its blowing cold. And another problem i have is that when my girlfriend {soon to be wife i hope} drives "her" car, it wants to die. She said it died one day and wouldn't start, so they pushed it off the road. Then on my lunch break i went and the car started up right away. So i am trying to find out why i have these problems. Then we have my 90 F-150. but thats another problem for another time. Thank you for your time

ain't that some s hit his fan won't stop and mine won't start. don't mind me i'm just being a hater.

quick35th said:
..I would recomend since you are strapped for cash to buy some TB cleaner and go to town on the TB making sure that you clean all of the sensors.
Shane, you got to be careful not to clean the IAC Valve on the TB's. The cleaner sometimes eats the bellow in the IAC causing it to rupture. Trust me, I am the rupture pilot here. :p
Others have had similar problems killing it after trying to "Clean" the IAC Valve.

BobGPz said:
Shane, you got to be careful not to clean the IAC Valve on the TB's. The cleaner sometimes eats the bellow in the IAC causing it to rupture. Trust me, I am the rupture pilot here. :p
Others have had similar problems killing it after trying to "Clean" the IAC Valve.

Hmm... thats interesting. Never have had that happen to me before, but I have heard stories of that stuff eating things.

Shane

Back