clutch pedal suddenly soft?

89Superbird5spd

i just replaced my clutch with a spec stage 2, and i replaced the slave cylinder while i was in there. ive put about 3000 miles on the clutch with no problems. now all of a sudden the pedal is really soft and it has a lot of play(how a pedal feels when the clutch goes bad) only the clutch still grips strong. and occasionally the pedal will become stiff again and then go back to being soft. i re-bled the system, thinking there might be air in the line, but it didnt change anything. any suggestions? thanks!

Last edited:
that sounds like my problem...but now how do i go about replacing a clutch master cylinder push rod? any ideas on cost? ive gotta be on my way by 6PM :eek: so any help would be fantastic! thanks

You can't buy the pushrod from Ford. I think its included with a new Clutch Master cylinder. You should check the bushing to make sure thats the problem. From other posters they say you can get the clip from a parts store in the help parts section. Maybe they have a pushrod too but I doubt it.

You might be okay but if its bad the clip can fail at any time.

I am going to change the Clutch MC next weekend and I am getting a used pedal assembly just in case I need one now or in the future.

I have the same problem with my 89 SC. There is space between the bushing through the firewall and the rod connected to the pedal.

Does that mean I need to get a new MC? I thought the clutch was bad too but when it works it grabs just fine to the point of stalling it out.

I am going through this same issue with the worn master cylinder rod. I am going to replace the master cylinder.......but this is only half of the problem. Ford decided to put an un-hardened pin in the clutch pedal that mates with the master cylinder rod; as a result, my pin has a MASSIVE groove worn into it (about .150" deep) I have attempted to get the pedal off, but had no luck. I am going to machine a bushing to fit over the worn pin that will act as a new bearing surface. I will guess that anyone with a worn master cylinder rod will have a clutch pedal pin that looks like mine. I had about 2" of free play in the clutch pedal because of this problem.....no wonder people are having to over-shim the slave cylinder.
John

2 inches? Oh I have more than that most of the time and yet other times it acts brand new... Im just gonna bleed the system and see if that helps at all until i can get a new cylinder in it. My rod doesnt have any grooves...

Back