S/C Valve

1QuikV6

Im assured you all know about the Valve that controls boost on the plenum. I have heard of people tying them open or pulling the vaccuum hose off of it. IS there any real benefit/disadvantages to doing this? I tried it in the driveway out of gear and all i notice is more supercharger noise at lower rpms. havent tried it on the road for fear it might hurt something.

It will make the car run a little hotter and the supercharger will whine contantly, and will not provide any additional performance. Probably less because the entire intake system (starting with the supercharger) will get hotter without the bypass being open to recirculate air.

David

Thats what i was figuring. I knew it was there for a reason or otherwise why have it on there. If only it were external like a BOV... oh well...

i completley removed the valve and made caps to block the passage. even with that little butterfly valve you still get a little boost pressure recirculated back into the charger. which means less boost actually entering the engine. I found a definate increase at the dragstrip. about a solid tenth maybe a little more. The engine has about 12 thousand miles on it with this being done, with no ill effects

Kevin,

That's very interesting and completly different from my experince when running with a capped cross talk tube or with the bypass closed all the time. Then again I never tried capping off the bypass valve for the reasons I mentioned above.

The more I learn about your car, the more impressed I am. You are doing several things on your car that go against conventional wisdom, but it's working great for you. I would really like to know more about your car, because I think it's re-writing the SC go fast book, and could be the fastest one in the club by next year.

Does your blower whine constantly with the bypass valve blocked off ? The vacuum hose fell off the acuator on mine and the noise was driving me nutts.
I actually thought it was the converter and had a new Lentech shipped Fed X to the transmission shop only to find out $900 later the vacuum hose hose fell off.

David

Last edited:
I have tried it also. I saw that it boosted a lot quicker and I can tell a little performance gain. I just put it on because it would heat up the air more. I have been thinking about not using it.

When i bought the MP inlet plenum it came with a little fitting that you can put in place of the bypass valve fitting and that is all you would have to do really.

David Neibert said:
Kevin,

That's very interesting and completly different from my experince when running with a capped cross talk tube or with the bypass closed all the time. Then again I never tried capping off the bypass valve for the reasons I mentioned above.

The more I learn about your car, the more impressed I am. You are doing several things on your car that go against conventional wisdom, but it's working great for you. I would really like to know more about your car, because I think it's re-writing the SC go fast book, and could be the fastest one in the club by next year.

Does your blower whine constantly with the bypass valve blocked off ? The vacuum hose fell off the acuator on mine and the noise was driving me nutts.
I actually thought it was the converter and had a new Lentech shipped Fed X to the transmission shop only to find out $900 later the vacuum hose hose fell off.

David
Dave, No my blower doesn't seem to whine too much at all. Actually at the shootout i was amazed at how whiney some of the guys blowers were. if you think about the bypass valve, on the blower side there is vacume present, on the engine side of the valve there is pressure. and that little butterfly can't seal completly. all you are doing is cylcling aready heated air just to be heated more. yes, normal driving by blower does get hot. maybe some of the whine is the air whistling as it sneaks around the valve. Just guessing, no actual proof. If there is anything you want to know, or antbody else out, there just ask me. I will not hold any info on my car. yes my ultimate goal is to get coy. But thanks dave on the compliments! sorry to hear about your $900 vacuum hose!!!

Back