PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hood near SW Virginia

John Machen
11-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey, I'm new to the area (Christiansburg VA close to Roanoke), I have a 94 sc.

I am in need of a 94-97 hood to "borrow" or purchase for a state inspection (they denied me for a cowl induction hood), as well as would like to get together with other local SCers.
Thanks in advance
John
coolfish5@aol.com

z90sc
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM

I am in need of a 94-97 hood to "borrow" or purchase for a state inspection (they denied me for a cowl induction hood), as well as would like to get together with other local SCers.
Thanks in advance
John
coolfish5@aol.com

check your email....

MrBlvd
12-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Do you ever find you way to Salem/Roanoke? I've had my car since Feb. and have yet been able to compare it to another SC. I'm interested in how the ride quality, engine vibration, "feel" of the car compares to another.

John Machen
12-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Do you ever find you way to Salem/Roanoke? I've had my car since Feb. and have yet been able to compare it to another SC. I'm interested in how the ride quality, engine vibration, "feel" of the car compares to another.

Its not far, not on my normal commute or anything though. I guess maybe 30min from here or so. If you want to get together for car chat and such sometime, let me know.
coolfish5@aol.com
-John

John Machen
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Well just an update, since the post is still on the first page. I don't NEED one anymore. I found a shop to pass inspection with the cowl hood. However if there is a free, or cheap 96/7 stock hood I'd still be interested for future inspections.

Thanks in advance
John
coolfish5@aol.com

John Machen
02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Well I know its been a couple years, but the original post was still arround.

The shop that passed the car the last 2 years now says the hood won't pass. Same inspection mechanic too. So I'm looking for a hood again, if anyone has one.
Thanks,
John

birds4us
03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I may be able to help you out. Come on up and see what we have. We are just off I81 at mile marker 213.

John Machen
03-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Sorry I lost this thread and hadn't gotten back.
I got a hood from a Todd in VA Beach.
Thanks for the offer anyways.

Although if you have other 94/5 SC parts There are a few things I'm looking for. Like coolant reservoir, clutch pedal rubber pad.
Thanks,
John

joshbea6
03-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Man, they denied you for a cowl hood?!?! OUCH. I'm just glad that Columbus doesn't do E-check yet.

birds4us
03-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Sorry, no 94/95 parts, all early parts. And yes, your cowl hood would not pass inspection, you have to remember, when the inspector puts his name on the pink slip, his licence to inspect is on the line should you get pulled over and get a ticket for the hood. It is a pain in the you know what to get one (inspection license) in the first place, and most employers want you to have one.

joshbea6
03-17-2007, 09:58 PM
It is a pain in the you know what to get one in the first place, and most employers want you to have one.

What...you mean they want you to have a cowl hood??....:D :D :D

J/K

rjgraul
03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
What is the reason for the inspection rejection of the hood? I live in VA too and am thinking of 3.5 inch cobra hood for my 94 SC. I have heard that the raised hood cannot be more than 4 inches high to pass VA insp. So I am interested in hearing what their reason is for not passing the hood before spending $500+ for a hood. I see lots of cars around the northern VA area with raised hoods.

Ralph
Broad Run, VA
Red 94 SC 5 Spd.

John Machen
04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
The reason they said, is anything newer than 1991 (may be off by a year on that) is allowed up to 1 1/8" above the dash for aftermarket hoods/scoops. I think 1 7/8" before that. Anyways the hood obstructs the view out the front slightly and they deem that illeagle. Some shops will pass cars with moderate hoods like mine because they just eyeball the height, and some who look up the spec and actually measure it won't pass the car.
I love the look of the cobra cowl hood, just wish I had kept my stock one handy for inspection purposes. I gave away the stock hood when we moved from FL to VA, as I didn't expect to need it.
My dad found a 94/5 style hood and has it stored for me. Although I swapped to 97 headlights so it looks kinda strange with the 94/5 hood on it (though it will fit, and would pass inspection).
I would be most pleased to find a similar style in a 96/7 profile for the headlights. Though I dislike the 96/7 stock steel hoods.
John

rjgraul
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
John,
What is the total height of the raise of your hood over the stock hood. The one I am looking at is 3.5 inch rise. I am going to check witht he guy that inspects my car to see what he says about the cobra hood.

Ralph

John Machen
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Thats about what mine is. Its the legendary brand one. Probably the same height. But the distance over the dash is less because the hood starts below the dash a little. Anyways you do see the back of the hood through the winshield, but it doesn't really obstruct anything, maybe a little different when parking, and when you go over the crest of a steep hill.
I don't really mind it though.
John