Can I send my ECM out to be tested?

tweekndeacon

I have been battaling a strange ignition miss for over two years now. After getting alot of exelent advice from this site I now beleve the problem is in the ECM. I have replaced the ECM with a reman unit from ford but it didn't repair the problem. After rechecking everything I think the reman unit may also be bad. I was hoping someone might know of a place that can check and repair an ECM. Can I send it to Ford?

Eec

these things are battleships ...after replacing with another and still same problem .I'd look else where ..fuel pump/regulater pressure...compression/balance test ...sticky bypass valve ...heeps of oil in the incooler ....head gaskets ...harmonic balancer..plugs and gap ..vacume leaks ..plugged cats...crushed exhaust pipes ..crushed fuel lines by the fuel filter ..i've bottomed out there before flatting the lines .....keep it simple .... spark,compression,fuel ...I doubt it's the black box ...how many miles on motor? ...is the check engine lite... throwing any codes ? vacume @ idle? more info on your problem could be help full .....dave

If you really think that is the problem you'd be better off buying a used unit off this site than getting yours tested/rebuilt.

However, an ignition miss is highly more likely to be in the DIS or secondary system.

Reply to ignition miss

Buddy, I just logged on to post my breakthrough. I've been chasing an ignition miss for several years. It could best be described as 'misfires under load'. Typical ignition problem....textbook plugs or wires. I've gotten some excellent info from this site...nothing fixed it. New plugs would do the trick for several weeks. As stupid as it sounds.....dielectric silicone around plug and coil boots cured it. 180k on the odometer, and it's running like new.
It's so simple, yet I'd never seen it mentioned. For what it's worth.
Tom

Back