moving coil pack

hepcat

I am thinking about moving my coil pack but in order to do so I would need longer sparkplug wires. Well I guess I would need to cut my own wires but where would i get them from hopefully the 10mm.

If any one has done this could you post a picture or exsplain where you put the coilpack and what you did with the wires.

This would help to cool the engine a little because of letting heat out of that compack area so air can move it out hopefully is my goal.

Thanks

I haven't heard of anyone moving the coil pack. I've heard of people moving the DIS though to a location where it can be kept cooler. The older bird's stock location on the A/C compressor can get pretty hot.

moving the coil pack

Just think if you give it more room to breath it will have less heat.

I want to move the coil pack as well as the dis and the battery back to the trunk.

I want to do this so I can run a ram air into the engine bay to lower the temp of my IC tubes and make the rising heat from exhaust circulate out of there.

Well this is what I want to accomplish.

Thanks though any one else considered or tried this or maybe you want to now because you havin't thought of it. Or is this just a dom usless idea.

Raymond

Moving the Coil Pack to the trunk is unlikely to be sucessful. The output of that is HIGH VOLTAGE and moving that over long distances will dramatically decrease the effectivness. Depending on the distance you will also impact the ignition timing.

Ram air to force cold air into the engine compartment could have a negative impact on engine temperatures. Doing so would pressurize (assuming actual ram air) the area under the hood. This increased under hood pressure would decrease the flow of air across the radiator increasing engine temperatures.

Besides pulling additional air in, you need to also account for moving the air back out. You can't expect it to exit under the car. Instead you would need to vent the cowl area of the hood or the rear of the fenders.

I'm actually thinking of a radical hood modification that would require changing the radiator fan to a pusher, then cutting an opening in the hood just ahead of the engine belts and creating a path with sheet metal for the air to exit from the radiator. Thus the hot air exiting the radiator would have a straight path out from under the hood without increasing under hood temperatures.

Only ideas.

coil moved

Sorry only the battery would be moved back to the trunk. The coil would go on the fender as well as the DIS.

The air still would be able to go down if forced in by the movement of the vehicle. If you have one of those 3 inch vent things forcing more air in to the radiator then that would create a kind of sucktion in the engine compartment at a decent speed. The colder air comming in would help cool the supercharger tubes by moving the engine compartment temps down.

After the cold air comes in it has to push the hot air out some how and there is room on both sides of the engine for it to go down.

The engine would keep the heat but it just wouldn't be able to linger in the area effecting everything else as much.

The idea on the hood is a good idea aswell. I might consider that.

Raymond

The air still would be able to go down if forced in by the movement of the vehicle. If you have one of those 3 inch vent things forcing more air in to the radiator then that would create a kind of sucktion in the engine compartment at a decent speed. The colder air comming in would help cool the supercharger tubes by moving the engine compartment temps down.

I guess the picture in my head of your idea calls for some vents in the top of the hood to allow air to escape. Hot air rises, and while you would be forcing air into the engine compartment, I see it more as packing air. You're packing air into the compartment and relying on the air to exit at the bottom of the Chassis. Ignoring the poor aerodymanic aspects of forcing air under the car, the tendency for the air to exit the bottom of the engine bay is likely to be colder air, trapping the hot air underside of the hood.

This is all just garage logic so don't take it too serious. I just wouldn't want to add ram air entering my hood without also allowing for it be vented somehow.

GoodLuck!

air movement

If I have a 6 round tube with fresh air coming in at the bumper and the other end where the battery used to be the forcing colder air is going to have to go accross the engine and the hot air will be fored somewhere either up though the crack behind the hood if I remove that rubber piece or it will go down.

The air can't stay in there if more is being moved in.

If you have a small exhuast leak it will leak out and if more pressure is in there more will be forced out.

If this is done to the engine it will help to cool the engine bay temperatures. Leaving the SC and tubes cooler and helping power somewhat for the colder air.

Raymond

Back