Whack engine problems

steveo86

Hey guys. Haven't been around here in a long time, college is incredibly busy. Well, I've got a problem. The other day, about 2 weeks ago, I was just driving the SC around campus at 20-25mph, and all of a sudden the engine RPM's go from ~1200 (cruising) to 3000 then back to 400ish and it will do that back and forth, very rapidly, basically bucking the whole car back and forth. This stops when I disengage the clutch, and it will be fine for a while. There is no noticable pattern of when it will happen, it just will at random times. My friend and I think that the clutch is slipping then reengaging, thus causing the flux in RPM's and the shaking of the car. I have been having some problems with the clutch before, when I engage the clutch from a stop in first gear, the whole car shakes for about a second and a half, then the car is fine. And the car doesnt feel nearly as fast as it did when I bought it ~6 months ago. So I'm pretty sure it's with the clutch, just wanted to get some of yall's opinions. Oh, if any of you guys know of any decent shops in the Gainesville area, let me know. Thanks a lot.

-David L.

Does it do this with your foot off the gas? How does it accelerate? If the clutch had a problem it prolly would rear its ugly face under hard acceleration. I would almost bet that you may have a DIS problem. Maybe the DIS is over heating and causing your problem. You could reapply some heat sink compound to the bottom of the DIS and see if that helps. Good luck!

Shane

DIS? Sorry, dont know what that is. Yeah, it goes whack under any acceleration with positive boost. Yes, if I take my foot out of it, it will continue to do so until I disengage the clutch. Gotta figure out what that DIS thing is.....hmm.....

I believe it stands for Distributed Ignition System. The part I think he's talking about is the grey motorcraft item on the left (facing the engine) of the blower.

I believe that there are a couple for sale on Ebay if that turns out to be it.

it is the distributorless ignition system (DIS). The module is on top of the bracket right above the ac compressor. I would replace that first.Spark plugs and new wires would also be wise, but my buddies car did the same thing and it was the dis module, It isnt the clutch. It would be slipping. Contact xr7Dave here on the boards he will be able to help you out with any problems that you may come across.

Hope this helps,
Mark

The problem could also be caused by the Idle Air Controller. Depressing the clutch pedal could signal the computer to close the Idle Air Valve and it snaps back dropping the idle speed. Also might check supercharger plumbing and vaccum hoses for leaks.

farleye said:
The problem could also be caused by the Idle Air Controller. Depressing the clutch pedal could signal the computer to close the Idle Air Valve and it snaps back dropping the idle speed. Also might check supercharger plumbing and vaccum hoses for leaks.

No I dont think this is the problem. Just either replace the DIS modual or better yet just take it off, clean the base, and put a fresh coat of heat sink compound on the back of the DIS and the base. Its much cheaper to do this than replace the DIS.

Shane

quick35th said:
No I dont think this is the problem. Just either replace the DIS modual or better yet just take it off, clean the base, and put a fresh coat of heat sink compound on the back of the DIS and the base. Its much cheaper to do this than replace the DIS.

Shane
Do you have more detailed instructions than that? Or is it that simple? I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch though, whether or not it causes this problem, cause I can feel it slip when I put on some boost.

steveo86 said:
Do you have more detailed instructions than that? Or is it that simple? I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch though, whether or not it causes this problem, cause I can feel it slip when I put on some boost.

Well the DIS has two electrical connectors (one on each side) and is held in by four tinny little bolts. Thats it. It just lifts right off.

Shane

Back