Wont start, but im getting electicity

Chase Power

Hey, i just now got my super coupe a week ago, it has been doing great but with my luck the day i got back to college it just stopped turning over. There is no sound of anything close to turning over. It has a new battery and i am still getting plenty of electricity. it has started everytime right up untill this time and i just cant get it started. Any ideas? :confused:

sounds silly but are you getting fuel? take the breather off spray a tad of starting fluid in there crank it if it fires u might check the fuel pump to see if its running the pump runs when u turn the key on but if you dont start the car it builds pressure then stops sooooooooooo flip the key on see if you can hear the pump running have a friend stand by the rear tire and listen hope this helps :)

Hey, i hooked up some jumper cables to it and it started up... dont think it fixed the problem though... i'll get back. It might be the below 50 degree temp. we got here all of a sudden...

it could be ur alternator ...hmm it cant be ur ignition column. it could mabe be the fuel pump.im not too sure. but it could be ur fuel pump.but i think it is ur alternator. when was the last time u replaced ur alternator..?

Last edited:
Starter Solinoid

If you get a click, & no start, OR no click & no start, replace the starter solinoid. I think they are under $8 at Auto Zone. Worked for me.

68COUGAR

Chase Power said:
..There is no sound of anything close to turning over. :confused:
With a new battery and assuming it is fully charged, I think 68Cougar's mention to try a new relay is something to check. OR take a screwdriver and touch the two main poles together on the relay (**Depending on your year of SC) if it starts the ignition switch may be bad. Maybe a clutch lockout switch (**Prevents the car from starting with clutch out). If it doesn't do anything then either your starter or relay is bad. You can take a hammer/big wrench and tap the starter then go try and start, as this will work sometimes, but only temporarily.
The fuel pump/fuel pressure have nothing to do with a no start if the engine will not "crank/turn over".

**You might want to post your year and transmission, or edit your "Signature Line" in "User CP" so we know what you have to better help diagnose.

It is a 1995 Super coupe with the 5 spd. tran. I have found that whenever i hook up jumper cables to my car from a friends mustang (hate having a mustang start up my tbird...) it starts right up... then it'll start up for the next couple days then it goes bad again.... so thats where im at right now

troubleshooting steps

how soon after getting the new battery did the problems start? if you still have the old one, swap it back and see what happens. when you hook it up with jumper cables, does it always start? i mean 100% of the time. if so, then it's most likely not your starter or even getting jumped wouldnt help and it also eliminates the starter solenoid, fuel pump, clutch lockout switch, and ignition switch.. do your lights die when you try starting it? or dim? if they do, then its the battery. you couldve gotten a defective one. try hooking up a pair of jumper cables to your car, but dont connect them to another car. just put your side on and see what happens. if that works, your battery cable connectors are worn out and not making good contact. very cheap. happened to a friend of mine. does your battery light ever come on while driving? if you have any doubt about your alternator, take it to autozone, advanced, o'reilly's and they should be able to test it for free. theres nothing else i can think off right now where the car wouldnt even turn over, but starts just fine when jumped.

Moses

Back