wondering if this is a commin this if not watch out for this

91scblack

me and a few of my buddys went to the local drag strip the other day (not to brag but i ran a 15.4 all day 1991 sc auto with custom intake and 2 flowmasters i think it did good) anyway my last run of the day i was raceing my freind and about half track we heard a loud i mean loud enough to were he heard it from a car lenth a head and open headers. so we here this pop and my car dies we get it back in the pit and after about 20mins of looking at it someone noticed that the harmonic balincer had slid partway off the crank. what happened was the pop was the head of the bolt brakeing and the balincer unlocking from it.

so is it comin and if not check to make sure the head of th bolt is still there

thanks

Balancers break all the time. Part of it usually sits inside the crank snout. I replaced mine with the BHJ one and hopefully will never have to worry about it again. I hope you didn't damage the crank or anything on the bottom end as it sounds like it went out pretty hard.

Not uncommon

unfortunatley i know the exact same sound,, i was leaving a wedding reception in august with my wife and son in the car, and we got about a half mile down the road, and i heard the same sound,, which ended up being the bolt head breaking and smacking off the ground, and hitting off the floor pan of the car... luckily my uncle, who was still at the reception owns a towing company,, was able to get me a tow truck and a tow to his garage,, come to find out i shead the balancer off on the crank.. after a couple days, i picked up a used pulley and it has been running good ever since..

If you sheared the pulley,,, be patient, you can get it off fairly easy.. as for the bolt, i used a big flat head screw driver, and was able to catch a edge from the break and turn it out very easily,,, to get the shaft i used a pair of channel locks and a screwdirve and pried it off slowly,, you may end up replace the timing chain seal, but its well worth the couple of dollars....

Good luck and be patient!!!!! TIM

Back