PDA

View Full Version : Would you wait?

leeklimala
11-30-2004, 12:24 PM
If your SC had 100k on the ticker and what sounded like a bad valve or so, but not smoking or making any other bad noises...would you just get the heads fixed or would you go ahead and pull the whole motor and get 'er freshened up? This is also assuming you have a wife, 2 kids and Christmas coming up...

doodaa
11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it... till after the Christmas presents for momma and the kids are paid for - not bought, paid for. :)

I might pop the valve covers off and check for loose rockers and such, at the very least run a couple cans of Seafoam through it. Shouldn't cost much.

mkeethler
12-01-2004, 12:25 PM
If your SC had 100k on the ticker and what sounded like a bad valve or so, but not smoking or making any other bad noises...would you just get the heads fixed or would you go ahead and pull the whole motor and get 'er freshened up? This is also assuming you have a wife, 2 kids and Christmas coming up...
Speed is money..........How fast do you wanna go??

leeklimala
12-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Speed is money..........How fast do you wanna go??

Daily driver, hardly never get it to a track, want dependability/handeling over bragging rights. Any mods I can do myself with a die grinder and some polishing cream is about all I'm in for right now. I've got 500 worth of suspension to do and about another 500 after that to do whatever else.

Here is what I have "planned":

Full Poly Suspension*
New Upper Control arms
New Lower Ball joints
New inner/outer tie rods

Heads fixed - how ever much that costs

Pending the price of the heads getting fixed:
New plugs/wires*
New SC oil
New upper engine gaskets
ARP studs*
New thermostat
Motor/Radiator Flush
New rear diff flush

* Asking Santa for

Mike8675309
12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
I would say it depends. If you want to race it and win and have it reliable, rebuild it at 100k for sure specifically with racing in mind.

If you just want to drive it, I wouldn't rebuild the motor until something occurs that forced you to do so.

Here is the logic that occured with my 93 engine rebuild. (200k miles)
I need a new clutch so I have to pull the trans.
I want to clean up the wiring under the hood and clean the engine bay. I going to be repainting the car and likely go to a few shows. So I want it clean.
To get it really clean that means pulling the motor so I can get in there.
Since I'll have the motor out and it has a bunch of miles, I might as well put new head gaskets on it.
Well if I'm going to pull the motor and have the heads off I might as well rebuild it.

Tada...

leeklimala
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
I like clean, and it is driving me up the wall that my jams and engine compartment are bright red. So painting the inside to match the outside is another reason to pull the motor, I am a firm believer in doing things once and doing them right. That's why I post a billion and a half questions about the same thing. I am more into handeling than speeding. So, other than porting the heads, intake and ex manifolds, I am not going to do much on the performance side until I get another daily driver. Thanks for the input.

walunsf
12-13-2004, 05:03 PM
I have over 187k miles right now on the motor. i have a lot of blow-by but the motor is still strong. in fact, i dynoed it this past summer and figuring 15% drivetrain loss i was making 310 ft/lbs torque and 206 hp. I've installed a raised lid and altered the exhaust since then so i need to take it back. The SC is my daily driver.....

Still Crusin
12-18-2004, 01:32 AM
Car looks good. How did the accident occur?

As far as your question, it's tough to answer. I concur with the other posters and I can identify with your situation since until recently my 94 was also my daily driver.
Are you original owner? If not, do you know if previous owner had head gaskets re-done per the recall?
If you know the car history well and engine seems to be in good condition and it hasn't been beat on then I'd probably wait till at least 150k. Only problem is, it's going to be a gamble. I'd just ask myself how long can you afford to be w/out your SC when the head gaskets let go? I'd rather plan on the project rather than it deciding for me(easier said than done).
Of course, once you hit 100k, a lot of small and sometimes not-so-small things seem to start needing replacement which can also add up quickly.

SCownerIL
12-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Well, when my car hit 103k, the tranny burnt up. After my dad fixed that, he decieded that it would be a great time to pull the engine, tear it down, and rebuild. Assuming you have the time, it would probably be a good time to do it then - but then again, I'm not sure what kind of condition your tranny is in. So far, it's cost me about $1300, and we still have a bit to go. However, that price includes a lot of machine shop fees, pistons, etc - we went a little overboard. ^_^

leeklimala
12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. As for now I am going to have to wait until it is broke. I am getting all the "little" things out of the way when I sell the house then when it breaks I'll go into the motor. I think my upper respiratory problem has to do with my DIS or either the cam or crank sensors. I am the second owner and I checked and the factory recall work was not done and to my knowledge the motor hasn't been apart yet. I need to get the car back on the road ASAP so I am just moding the suspension and fixing what's actually broke.

XxSlowpokexX
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Well that bad valve/valvespring can end up being a cracked block and split head.....Soooooooooooooo..Id fic it

However if its a lifter....Ehhh try running some engien restore in it and see if it goes teh way of the dodo