Revs good, Idle bad?

Phillio99

Well, I got the supercharger back on, fired it up and I am having a problem. The car will stumble and die when the idle is not assisted. (with the gas pedal) However, when I tromp on the gas the engine seems to run well.
I bought the car with a siezed supercharger and i drove it to my house, through the bypass valve, but it suffered from a similiar idle problem. I've been looking at all the vacuum lines on the car, (which I bought for $400), and I am not sure if some of the lines are missing.
The supercharger seems to have a little extra whine, I've never heard the my SC with a supercharger, so I am not sure what its suppose to sound like, but it seems loud.
I don't think it's the IAC becuase I don't hear the "dieing goose" sounds described in other posts.
I really don't know what it is and any help would be great.
Thanks,
Phil

you said that you just put the SC back on. Double/Tripple check your intercooler tube connections. I had that problem after a headgasket rebuild, and it turned out to be a bad seal attempt on my part at the intercooler. (blue rtv)

I now am the proud owner of a few gasket sets from TexasThunderbirds/Wynn Carter / Tbird88. They work great and I recommend them.

I thought about that too, and it would make sense except that even when I was running the car without the supercharger, and just through the bypass it still had the idle problem. If it were the IC gaskets then it would, in theory I am no expert I'm just trying to think logically, run decently through the bypass. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Here are another few pieces of info about the car. First, I drove it home with the bypass valve open and left the valve wired open for some time. Could this possibly be causing problems? Also, does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum houses, I thought one ran to the bypass valve but I can't find the vaccum line on the car. (probably becuase it was $400.) Secondly, the battery goes dead if i don't have the thing slowly charging. Could my computer been messed up with out power?
Please any additional comments would be great.
Thanks,
Phil

I thought that the bypass was for re-circulating air back throught the supercharger, not for by-passing the supercharger all together...

I am not sure either but my supercharger was locked up tight, no air could pass through, but when I opened the bypass valve it ran. I am sure someone know for sure. I believe it is for both purposes we mentioned.

Got a couple of other questions here sorry to clog up the boards. I am trying to hunt down vacuum leaks etc. and I have found a couple of strange things. First, on the Intercooler plenum that runs into the lower intake there is a sensor, and right next to that there is a possible vacuum plug? something does anyone know what that is? Secondly, I found two headphone jack looking plugs connected to long black lines. Anyone know what those are they are on the driver side near the Intercooler plenum that runs into the lower intake.
Any answers would be great.
Thanks,
Phil

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I didn't get an e-mail that you had responded oh well, i'll re-subscribe to this thread again.

Regarding the car running initially, I would assume that by opening up the bypass, you were allowing air to circulate "backwards" through the bypass and thereby entering the lower intake. wierd....

On the plenum that comes from the intercooler and feeds the lower intake, the sensor/plug is the ACT = Air Charge Temperature. It tells the computer the temp of the incomming air. next to that is where the vaccuum tube for the boost gauge goes. if you don't have the tube, no worries, the gauge won't work, but tape up the hole so you don't have a leak there.

regarding the headphone connectors, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I've been playing guess and check for all these vacuum lines, the boost gauge is one of those "headphone jack" style plugs, as is the the vacuum bypass actuator's. All these vacuum lines running on the driver side are killing me though. Giant vaccum tree with lines goin everywhere. Ill keep you posted.
Phil

Back