Car problems what do you guys think

Darkbird

I have a 92 t-bird 3.8 litre and im having some problems with it i think it is the tranny but im not sure the car was in an accident about 3 years ago and i got the front of the body restored and i had to get a used tranny but now scince i put in the tranny when i accelerate softly the car miss fires and it jumps a little but when i accelerate harder it dosent do it.also when im at a stop light and i have the car in drive and i get my foot of the brake the car does this thing and it feels like its gona turn off and then i accelerate and it dosent do it anymore i think it is the fuel pump but im not sure plz tell me what you guys think. Thank alot everyone

Try driving it with it left in 3rd gear (that disabled only overdrive, you'll still get 1, 2, 3). Then see if the behavior changes.

Sounds like either overdrive is shot, or also your TV Cable is not adjusted properly.

Mike8675309 said:
Try driving it with it left in 3rd gear (that disabled only overdrive, you'll still get 1, 2, 3). Then see if the behavior changes.

Sounds like either overdrive is shot, or also your TV Cable is not adjusted properly.

One other thing to add: Dont drive around all day in 3rd gear. You will burn up your tranny doing that. Just try it out alittle. Check for proper TV cable adjustment as an unproperly adjusted TV cable can burn a tranny up too.

Shane

i dont keep it in 3rd gear im just thinking about selling it and getting another one in beter condition

quick35th said:
One other thing to add: Dont drive around all day in 3rd gear. You will burn up your tranny doing that.

Can you go into that further? Is it an issue of burning up the trans driving in 3rd if TV cable is mis-adjusted. Or do you feel it'll hurt the trans to drive with it in 3rd even with a properly adjusted cable.

It's my understanding that The AOD trans have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with Overdrive consisting of a band that locks some gears into place. Thus placing the trans in 3rd simply runs through the gears, 1, 2, 3 but never allows overdrive to come into place. So where that would burn up the trans I'm unable to see. More thoughts would be helpful.

I mostly had 5 speed SC's, and have a Cougar winter beater with an AOD. So I'm just wondering how much of an issue that can be.

Mike8675309 said:
Can you go into that further? Is it an issue of burning up the trans driving in 3rd if TV cable is mis-adjusted. Or do you feel it'll hurt the trans to drive with it in 3rd even with a properly adjusted cable.

It's my understanding that The AOD trans have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with Overdrive consisting of a band that locks some gears into place. Thus placing the trans in 3rd simply runs through the gears, 1, 2, 3 but never allows overdrive to come into place. So where that would burn up the trans I'm unable to see. More thoughts would be helpful.

I mostly had 5 speed SC's, and have a Cougar winter beater with an AOD. So I'm just wondering how much of an issue that can be.

From what I understand there was a design flaw in the AOD tranny where when it is placed in 3rd it has a lack of fluid pressure causing it to over heat and burn up. That is what I have read here before in the past. It was designed to run in OD all the time. Same thing can happen with a mis-adjusted TV cable. I am a 5spd man myself as my 91 SC is my first auto SC so the whole automatic tranny thing is new to me too, but I have read up on other threads related to it. I hope this clears any confusion and not create more.

Shane

HAHA i found what the problem was!!!

Hey guys i found what was wrong its not the tranny the tranny is perfect and so is the engine the problem was that all the electrical wiring and the alternator has to be replaced and when it dosent start that ius that i have to change the ignition that will happen to all birds soonner or later so if ur gona start ur car and ur car dosent start then u try again and it starts means u need a new ignition b\c's all the birds from 1988-1995 came with a bad ignitition.and im gona take it to my friend hes a mechanic and hes gona replace everything. Oh and the car has lost alot of its power b\c's of electrical so after i replace everything that needs to be replaced it will be running strong and alot faster. well i got another big problem... and this one is pretty serious this morning on my way to work i noticed the car was overheating and i checked and there was no coolant just a bit left and then i quickly stopped at a gas station and bougth about a gallon and a quater of radiator coolant and then i filled the car up with it and then i started to drive again the car temperature went up again this time really high so then i drove slowly to work and i left the car there and my girl friend came to pick me up im gona take it to the same mechanic that is gona fix my ignition and altonator and my electrical wires and im gona see what he says b\c's the car had water oil everything was fine and it is still at a really high temperature so then my girlfriend picked me up and i left the car there on monday im going to take it to the mechanic to see what he says about that.. i hope its not that the coolant is going into the engine b\c's then im gona have to reapair the engine and its not worth it il end up selling the car and bying myself another bird..i hope it is just the thermostat that is going bad.. well thx for all u guys trying to help me with the care i really appreciate ur help thx again.. anyone needs help just talk to me il be glad to help..

So what all do you have to replace on the ignition system? Thats kinda interesting. I have never heard of that one yet.

Shane

N/a 3.8

I don't think his car is a supercoupe but that might not mean anything b/c I don't know the difference between the two ignition systems.

Back