HEGO Ho2 sensor rich? WTH!

Bigme574

Okay, on top of pulling a 74 (Brake on/off shift fault;not actuated) whatever the hell that means...I pulled a code 92 which says: "HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage high/system rich. What is this sensor, and I can infer that my car is running a little rich. is this the O2 sensor? If so, I have never heartd it called a 'HEGO' Anyone have any ideas? My check engine light came on for about 10 seconds then shut off, so I proceeded to run codes and those are what I pulled. I think I have an air leak somewhere, I can feel it until the car warms up and I can hear a hissing like air escaping during cruising sometimes. Help me out here...I am off tomorrow and want to tackle this stuff ASAP!

Thanks in advance!
Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Last edited:
Yes Aaron the HEGO's are the O2 sensors. Since you did get a check engine light that later went away I would venture a geuss that your O2 sensor on that bank is old and getting lazy. The check engine light comes on whenever an electrical problem of some sort(wiring problem or electrical problem within the sensor itself) happens. Check your wires first and if thats good its probably the sensor itself.

Bigme574 said:
Okay, on top of pulling a 74 (Brake on/off shift fault;not actuated) whatever the hell that means...I pulled a code 92 which says: "HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage high/system rich. What is this sensor, and I can infer that my car is running a little rich. is this the O2 sensor? If so, I have never heartd it called a 'HEGO' Anyone have any ideas? My check engine light came on for about 10 seconds then shut off, so I proceeded to run codes and those are what I pulled. I think I have an air leak somewhere, I can feel it until the car warms up and I can hear a hissing like air escaping during cruising sometimes. Help me out here...I am off tomorrow and want to tackle this stuff ASAP!

Thanks in advance!
Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Well replace the o2 sensor for the bank that came up as rich or just replace both to give you the peice of mind that they are both good to go for a while. Now for the vac leak check around the back of the motor, intercooler tubes, and supercharger area. You may not be able to find it by just looking around. You can use TB cleaner to spray around hoses and such to find vac leaks. You'll know you found it as the idle rpm should drop as it sucks in the cleaner. Good luck!

Shane

thanks

Thanks for the info, I figure that was the HEGO sensor. There is no other sensor that came to mind. I will go ahead and replace them both for the hell of it, I guess I will need a 3/4 crows foot to get to the one on the drivers side. Hopefully the custom exhaust makes the job easier.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Nope you dont need a 3/4 crows foot to do the job. A 3/4 box end wrench will get the job done.

Shane

Back