Door panels

seawalkersee

Have any of you guyz been on baggedbirds.com? If you look at the car for Liz she has different door panels. I dont know if she had them made or if they are old school mark panels. If any of you know, or know the best way to make door panels that would be cool...

Chris

Chris Walker said:
Have any of you guyz been on baggedbirds.com? If you look at the car for Liz she has different door panels. I dont know if she had them made or if they are old school mark panels. If any of you know, or know the best way to make door panels that would be cool...

Chris

She has the entire interior from a Mark VIII in her Bird. She cut the metal out of the Mark's doors and welded it into the birds doors so the panels would fit.

Mike Donley

I saw the door torn apart but was not sure what the deally was. BTW, who put on your bullitt fuel door? There used to be a web site that showed where to cut. I can not find it now thats actually how I found the bagged site.

Thanx

Chris

Last edited:
Chris Walker said:
I saw the door torn apart but was not sure what the deally was. BTW, who put on your bullitt fuel door? There used to be a web site that showed where to cut. I can not find it now thats actually how I found the bagged site.

Thanx

Chris

I put the door on myself.

I wrote an article on how to install it:

How to install a Bullit Mustang Fuel Door on a Thunderbird

1. Unbolt and remove the original fuel door. You will see a notch in the opening, which allows the hinge to clear the fender. You must extend this notch approximately ¼ to 3/8 inch towards the front of the car from the top to the bottom of the notch. You can do this by cutting the material completely out with a cutting wheel, or do as I did and use snips on the top and bottom of the notch and bend the excess material back into the opening. Paint as necessary to prevent rust. Remove the two rubber bumpers and discard. Also remove the three screws holding the gas pocket to the fender and replace them with Phillips head screws so they won’t hold the door out from the body..
2. The Bullitt fuel door comes with torx screws for mounting, but I thought they looked cheesy, and I don’t think they are threaded enough, so I bought six 10-24 stainless steel allen head cap screws. You need 6 that are at least ¾” long. I made the top and bottom screws dummies by putting nuts on the back of the frame and ground the screws off flush with the nuts. You have to enlarge the holes in the door to fit the 10-24 screws. Also the heads of the screws won’t be flush but I didn’t care.
3. On the back of the doors frame are two plastic c-shaped pieces held on by two of the torx screws. Remove and discard these as well as the screws. By the hinge are two bosses 1/4 “ high that the screws pass through. Grind these bosses down so they are 1/8” high.
4. After modifying the opening in the fender, hold the door up to the opening and mark the four holes on each side with a pencil. Decide whether you want to use nuts on the screws inside the opening or tap into the sheetmetal. Center punch each mark and drill the appropriate size hole. If you want to screw into the body use a tap to thread the sheetmetal. Since the two holes opposite the hinge do not have bosses like the hinge side and the top and bottom screws have nuts on the back you need to add small washers between the door and the body to shim it out. If you don’t the frame will bend. Install the four screws and stand back and admire the view.

Mike Donley

Back