Pulsing/serging/flickering lights

Ryan A Harris

I have a new problem with my 95 SC. For awhile now the headlights, dash lights, tail lights all will flicker/serge/pulse. The lights have never gone off while this pulsing/flickering/serging has gone on. All the fuses look ok, the battery and alt have been tested and are working fine.

So this morning, I hop in the car to drive to work, and the car won't start. Nothing at all. (The car ran fine the day before, and at 11pm when I moved it let the girlfriends car out). I used my keypad to open the door. All the interoir lights came on once the keypad was hit, and all the int lights came on once the door was open as well. But nothing when tring to start her up. So I get out my battery jumper, and thats still not enough power to turn it over.

I have done some searching, and the flicker/pusling/serging lights have led me to next look at the head light switch & Mulit function swicth, which I'll do tonight. But can these flicker/serging/pulsing lights have any affect on the car not starting? I have also checked the ground straps for the headlights, and in the engine bay too, they look ok. Not lose, and the wires seem fine.

Also, the alt is a rebuild, so I was thinking that maybe the regulator could be shot. But when the car is running, the alt checks out ok. The wierdest part of this problem is if the lights are turned on when the car is not running, their is not flicker/pulse/serge. I have even taken off the underdrive alt pulley and replaced with the stock sized pulley. Again, with the car running, the alt checks out fine. The voltge is ok, but is that what I should be checking?

Any help would be great, my wallet can't afford me to guess for the fixes on this one.

Last edited:
Flickering Lights

Hi Ryan,
you might want to check your ignition switch. The flickering lights sounds like the headlight switch but the nothing when trying to start makes me think it it the ignition switch.

I had a not starting / cutting out problem that was it. As said by someone else in a different post, they literally come apart. I finally fixed mine (after 2 headlight switches) with a wire tie. To make sure it didn't break I added 2 more. Haven't had a problem since.

to be safe, disconnect the battery first. if it has separated, the connector piece will be firmly attached to the SC harness but the connector in the ignition switch piece will be slightly (one end 1/8 - 1/4 inch) more open or all the fingers have fatigued and there is an even space all the way around. Try squeezing the harness and switch when it won't start. There is a slider made out of copper that moves with the movement of the key to make/break the different (high amp) connections within the switch.

On my 90SC there is a ring that goes all the way around behind the steering wheel and 3 screws on the under side. remove them and the top and bottom plastic pieces to expose the ignition switch.

Hope this helps!

I just put my SC back together after changing the motor mounts, Power steering pump, and HP line, and my lights do the same thing. Headlights and interior lights flicker when car is running..

Are you going to try the ignition switch first Ryan? If that works can you post a reply or email me and let me know?

Sorry to hijack your thread, if you do not replace it by this weekend , I'll replace mine and let you know if it solves my light problem, hopefully it will solve your no start problem..

Thanks for the insight Dr. Fred !!

Tom

Back