gas pedal adjustment

scbilly

Hi - Wondering anyone can help me with this one...I recently purchased a 1990 SC with auto trans, and would like to know if it is possible to adjust the stiffness of the pedal. Tranny shifts fine, but the pedal is very stiff to push. Or does the adjustment have to be made at the throttle body?

Thanks

scbilly said:
Hi - Wondering anyone can help me with this one...I recently purchased a 1990 SC with auto trans, and would like to know if it is possible to adjust the stiffness of the pedal. Tranny shifts fine, but the pedal is very stiff to push. Or does the adjustment have to be made at the throttle body?

Thanks
Howdy from down here in Texas and welcome to the SCCoA, you're gonna love it here EH! As far as adjusting the pressure on the pedal, there is none. You can try snipping a coil at a time from around the throttle cable right behind where it hooks to the throttle body but be aware that if you go too far in your "testing" then you'll hafta add an extra spring to get the tension back.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

'bird

The pressure to move the throttle through it's range on a stock throttle body is quite light. The problem you decribe sounds like either sticky cables or something misadjusted. I would remove the accelerator/cruise cable (bottom cable) and the TV cable (top cable on TB linkage) then move the throttle linkage by hand. With nothing connected the throttle linkage should move very easy. Connect the accelerator/cruise and see how that feels. If everything feels ok connect the TV cable and see if you can get wide open travel easily with no large increase in pressure.

Jerry

tbird88 said:
Howdy from down here in Texas and welcome to the SCCoA, you're gonna love it here EH! As far as adjusting the pressure on the pedal, there is none. You can try snipping a coil at a time from around the throttle cable right behind where it hooks to the throttle body but be aware that if you go too far in your "testing" then you'll hafta add an extra spring to get the tension back.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

'bird

Thanks, Y'all ! I'll give it a try. Yes, this is a great site, tons of info on the beloved SC...

Regards, Bill

Shockwave said:
The pressure to move the throttle through it's range on a stock throttle body is quite light. The problem you decribe sounds like either sticky cables or something misadjusted. I would remove the accelerator/cruise cable (bottom cable) and the TV cable (top cable on TB linkage) then move the throttle linkage by hand. With nothing connected the throttle linkage should move very easy. Connect the accelerator/cruise and see how that feels. If everything feels ok connect the TV cable and see if you can get wide open travel easily with no large increase in pressure.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry - I checked it out and it looks like someone has done some work on the TV cable holder and wrapped some wire around it...so I'll fix that and check it out as you suggested. Thanks for the help!

Bill

I also have a '90 SC 5-speed, and the throttle push on that one is smooth as heck. It's just a bit annoying...

Back