problems with my new SC

1991tbirdsc

well i just bought the car like 2 weeks ago and i am having trouble with it everytime the cars temp gets exactly in the middle it runs like crap i took the thermostat off just to see if it would run cooler and better but it just made it worse(WHEN I AM DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY IT OVERHEATS MORE THAN WHEN ITS JUST AT IDLE). also it when its just a idle it idles very rough sometimes especially when the a/c is on(feels like its missing). i timed it in the 1/4 when its running cold and it runs 15.5's at 93mph its an auto trans too. well let me add this :my fan is running direct so that it is always on, and the car has 55,554miles on it. if you have any suggestions or any ideas of what it could be i would really appreciate it.(also when when i rev my engine up when the rpms are coming down they come down very very slow when it is under 2,000rpms and starts makins some noise)

Last edited:
Hello. As far as your rough idle and slow rpms, you could have a vacuum leak. The fact that your car overheats at speed, and not idling, is strange, however. If it is not a serious problem like head gaskets, I guess I would have to assume a faulty water pump that cannot pump to capacity. It would be able to perform well at idle, but its flow would be insufficient for higher speeds and rpms. The same can apply to a slightly clogged cooling system. Check for streaks in the coolant, sediment in the overflow tank, and have it flushed.

Hey 91tbird

Where to you live in dallas, I am up in Corinth, just north of lake lewisville and looking for some sc people in this area. Maybe I can help.

check your lower rad hose,is the spring inside the hose?Te hose will collapse under vacuum at hiway speed if the spring is broke or missing.......just a thought.
z

maybe your rad needs a cleaning out if they is a lot of build up of that suff that gets in them around the cores. i just go a bird two weeks ago and one thing i did was with the hose nice and light i watched the a/c and rad out from the front and a lot of dirt came out and the car runs cooler now
maybe this will help you out

Back